MMS/photo messages fail (inbound/outbound) using wifi -- why?
zoom-zoom

At first I assumed this was an issue with my iPhone 4s, since I never had this issue with my HTC Incredible (I had plenty of other issues, hence the switch to an iDevice)...but then I read around and saw this issue being reported from a variety of phones and platforms.

The odd thing is that I don't recall having any such issues until maybe early May (I received my phone in late Dec).  Now I can't send or receive any messages with photos...ever, unless I totally disable wifi and turn on 3G.  This is unacceptable.  I have a wonderful 150mb plan that I rarely go over, because I make use of wifi connections as much as possible.  I intend to keep it this way for as long as possible.

I have yet to see anyone from Verizon explain why this happens, yet I have seen multiple stories of people paying for replacement phones, believing the phone is at fault, only to find that the issue is not resolved.

What gives, VZW?

Labels (1)
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Re: MMS/photo messages fail (inbound/outbound) using wifi -- why?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

MMS and photo message require the Verizon Wireless 3G/4G network to send the attachments.  That is the way it has always been.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

All carriers do it this way.  You don't even get charged for the data of MMS unless it is over a certain size, and if it's over a certain size it won't send the attachment.

0 Likes
zoom-zoom

I never had to use 3G to send photos via my Droid and for the first few months that I had my iPhone MMS messages worked fine via wi-fi, as well.  I leave 3G off most of the time, so I'm not thrilled about having to go into settings to turn it on to send a message, then I turn it off to avoid the phone randomly grabbing 3G signals...but then I don't receive MMS photo messages, either.  What changed?  And why do carriers insist upon handling MMS messages this way in the first place?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Anything transferred through wifi can be tracked by the owner of wifi. Send a naughty picture over wifi it can be taken while it is sent by another device on the same network.

Also things set over Verizon's network has to be tracked by law(Patriot Act), or resent if it fails. Regardless if you have wifi up it will send over 3G.

0 Likes