Loyalty means nothing to Verizon.
challiott

In 2000 I was with Airtouch Cellular, one of the companies that merged to create what is now Verizon Wireless.  I continued on with Verizon and have been with them ever since.  Basically, I have paid Verizon monthly service fees ever since they've been in existence.

20 months ago I signed yet another 2 year service contract.  When I signed this contract Verizon still had their 20 month phone upgrade policy in place which has now changed to 24 months.  I don't have a problem with that on its own but for them to change my current contract right in the middle of it to the 24 month upgrade is bordering on un-ethical.

I also wouldn't be that concerned about the upgrade it if I didn't have a phone that was on the verge of dying.  I'm on my third Motorola Droid 4 that has been warranty replaced twice already due to the ear piece speaker going out.  My current (third one) is now afflicted with the same ailment but has gone out of warranty.  Additionally the battery only holds a charge until about 4pm if I use (calls, texts, emails only, I do not stream anything) the phone at all throughout the day and sadly this is a phone model with non-consumer replaceable battery.   I definitely want to thank Samsung for continuing to build phones with a replaceable battery. 

I've made several earnest requests to Verizon at various levels of management in hopes that they would honor our original agreement to upgrade at least one of our lines based on the 20 month time frame that was laid out when we signed our contract, but they have refused.  Even with the knowledge that I have a phone with known problems, they will not stand behind the product they sold or honor the commitment to upgrade based on our current contract.

I would have no problem moving forward with them and a new contract being fully aware that their new upgrade policy is 24 months, but based on my current experience with Verizon, that will not be happening. 

We will be taking our multiple data line service and for the first time in 14 years will be switching to another provider once our contract is up.  I can limp by with my phone plugged in to a charge and use a bluetooth headset to overcome the blown speaker on the handset itself.

It makes me a little sad Verizon, but you're obviously loosing track of what made you so successful in the first place.  

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Loyalty means nothing to Verizon.
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

How have they "changed your contract"?

Are you referring to the previous early upgrade feature?  If so, that isn't part of your contract.  Unfortunately, it never was.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi challiott,

My sincere apologies for the issues at hand with your device. We want your device to be fully functional at all times. We definitely appreciate your loyalty to us. I would like to explain a little about your upgrade date change. Unfortunately your upgrade was not related to your wireless contract. Upgrades were provided as a courtesy at 20 months instead of having you wait the full 2-years that aligned with your contractual agreement. However, we still have alternative options that may be available. Do you mind sharing your current device selection? We're here for you, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
brocksjr

Hey OP,

Before you decided to jump ship please consider all the pros and cons. I was with Verizon for forever and I jumped ship to Tmobile, not because I was angry but I was trying to save money. It is not worth it. The quality of service Verizon has is unbeatable.

Also, if you are upgrading your phone a lot a suggest looking into the Edge program. Also (my personal opinion), if you want a phone to last you for 24 months look into Iphone 5c or 5s. It will not break if you take care of it.

-Bruce

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Almost any phone will NOT break if you take care of it.

People on my account have used Blackberries(last one was used for 3.5 years before upgrading), HTC TP2(used 2 years), Droid X(used 2 years), Thunderbolt(used 2 years), etc... All except for the BB are currently in working order. The BB trackball wore out from overuse after 3.5 years.Smiley Happy ALL of my old basic phones are ALSO in working order. I normally loan/give them to friends who are not so careful with their phones.

Not applicable

The quality of service? Verizon is now located towards the bottom on service. No email support, no chat since its always busy, no real telephone support (long wait times, hang ups, no call backs, no resolution) the Twitter, Facebook and Google+ support is the same no help but deflection as you get at the forum here. (we don't want to see you go, where is the love, just let us sell you more services at higher prices, we provide the best service(??) and reliability (yes the network is reliable),and they are the last out with newer devices, last out with OS updates, they have the highest costs for data use, no unlimited data for most of the customer base, huge data overages charges, and the list goes on )

Now when you left Verizon foir T-Mobile you should have not just checked price, but service and reliability in the places you need it most. You made a service mistake not T-Mobile.

And T-Mobile now has the Jump program listed by real people as the best phone plan. Verizon is listed in last place with AT&T with their upgrade phone plans. They are not "Edging" excuse the pun anyone.

T-Mobile is building out more and more each day. Eventually their coverage will be great, it takes time. Additionally they have unlimited data and texting not only domestically but now internationally  and couple that with .20¢ per minute calling in over 100 countries where the other carriers are reaking in 90% profit margins that is not being number one. It is pure greed. Just look at the insane profits verizon earned in the 3rd. Quarter. Added 1.1 new customers (post paid & prepaid) but T-Mobile also gained about the same numbers in the last quarter as well.

Verizon may have the largest network, but they are not the best in service or value. How much longer can they use that reliability statement when the others eventually build out. And AT&T is catching up fast.

Decade-Plus-Customer
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've met my match Challiott.  I thought for sure I was the oldest customer Verizon has as i too was a part of the Airtouch Cellular change over.  Like you i have weathered it all.  Verizon currently does have the best coverage as my brother has AT&T and i can barely hear the guy most of the time.  I disagree with allot of what Verizon is doing with the trade-in allowances (or lack there-of), unlimited data, etc.  They will have to react to what the competitors are doing if not they will continue to lose customers and watch the competition grow.......sad to see a loyal customer such as yourself go.  Verizon should be all over you trying to keep you on.  Good luck to you     

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Loyalty can go both ways.  Since you want to leave VZW, it seems that you aren't loyal to Verizon Wireless, your service provider for the last 12 or so years.  They have provided you service every month up until now. 

The upgrade for a subsidized device is an offer for a new contract; the current contract only pertains to the service period that started when you got your current device.  In of itself, the contract makes no promises for what will happen at the end of that contract.  During the contract, you are provided a service.  Any subsequent offers will be based on a new contract.  You had an understanding that you would be able to upgrade in 20 months, but that is not part of the written contract.

Neither party is served by loyalty here.  Verizon Wireless provides a service in exchange for consideration (money).  If you like the service, you keep paying for it.  If you don't like the service, you find another service provider to fulfill your desires.

eastern_motors

Bunch of garbage.  They promised a 20 month upgrade when I signed the contract.  I guess their lawyers wrote the contract so they could back out of their commitment.  I'm switching carriers if they don't honor their promise.

0 Likes
eastern_motors

Making a promise to consumers then putting a merger clause (nothing outside contract is binding) in the contract is playing legal games at best.  Verizon might be legally correct but beyond 24 months they will pay.

0 Likes