Low Cell Service in Home
JLa49

My cell service in my home is horrible - we have iPhone 5s. Even friends that come over can't make calls. Most of them also own an iPhone 5S. We have to place it by windows and that doesn't even help. Always at 1 bar and most of the time it doesn't even ring. I drop calls all the time too. And it's even worse when it's cloudy. ha! I've been researching signal boosters, network extenders and wifi calling, but I don't feel like handing out more money when I'm already paying for a service I'm not receiving. Anyone have any advice for a solution? My zipcode is 06073. According to the map, we have excellent coverage.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Low Cell Service in Home
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello JLa49, service when you need it most is what we strive for! After review of the zip code, I do see that there are opportunities for improvement in the area as it is in an extended network. There are factors that prevent optimum signal from reaching which include terrain, weather, building interference, and distance from the closest tower. Does signal improve outdoors? The network extender would be the best option to amplify signal indoors. View details here: http://vz.to/1cZhsvd

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

JLa49 wrote:

My cell service in my home is horrible - we have iPhone 5s. Even friends that come over can't make calls. Most of them also own an iPhone 5S. We have to place it by windows and that doesn't even help. Always at 1 bar and most of the time it doesn't even ring. I drop calls all the time too. And it's even worse when it's cloudy. ha! I've been researching signal boosters, network extenders and wifi calling, but I don't feel like handing out more money when I'm already paying for a service I'm not receiving. Anyone have any advice for a solution? My zipcode is 06073. According to the map, we have excellent coverage.

I find it interesting people continually claim they are paying for a service they are not receiving. I can't imagine this is the case. You are NOT paying for a service in a specific location. If that WERE the case, you would be talking about a landline. A landline is the best service for a static location.

Cellular service is a mobile service and NOT ALL AREAS will receive the same(if any) level of signal. Some areas won't have any signal. You are NOT paying for signal in all areas. Service in any specific location is NOT guaranteed and even areas showing excellent coverage on Verizon maps will have locations of limited or no service due to factors Verizon cannot control.

The statement that you are paying for a service you are NOT receiving would ONLY be true if you received never receive signal anywhere. If this is the case, change your service. If you NEED service in a specific location, shop around for the provider which provides the best service in that area. No provider will have the best service in all areas.

If you decide to stay with Verizon, you will either have to live with the service they have in that location or utilize the method they have to remedy this problem. That method is normally a network extender.

It is the responsibility of the customer to determine is Verizon is the correct provider for them. Verizon provides a 14 day return period where you can return your device without penalty if you decide Verizon does not meet your service needs. Of course, there will be a $35 restocking fee for the device.

0 Likes
wickedwireless

This is exactly what we are going through for almost a year now. It kills me to pay $108.00 per month for NO SERVICE or such poor service it is embarrassing when trying to talk to someone. I've resorted to making sure the caller knows I'm using Verizon No Service!

0 Likes
wickedwireless

I do not agree with this attitude or reply!  As a customer we do not pay 100% to receive 50%. That is simply not satisfactory. I do not buy a car, appliance, or dinner with that acceptance. If you do, then you are not striving for the best.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Whether or not you agree with the attitude is irrelevant. NO cellular provider guarantees service in all areas. That is why you must choose the provider which provides the best service for you. If you choose a provider which does not have service in areas you need, go with another provider, keeping in mind that provider WILL NOT have service in all areas either. Of course it may have service in more areas which are important to you.

People buy cars with the knowledge that you CANNOT drive them everywhere. That is a simple fact. People are conditioned to realize that because cars have been around for a lot longer than cell phones have been around. That does not mean you can drive them to 100% of all destinations. If you are expecting that, you will never purchase a car and be happy with the results.

Similarly, people cannot expect to receive cell service in all areas with all providers or even all areas with ANY provider. The capability simply is just not there. Unfortunately, because of the age of the cellular industry and the knowledge people have of the restrictions of the technology, they are not aware of that. It takes time.

0 Likes
wickedwireless

I don't believe I'm out of line by wanting to take and place calls on my Verizon phone in my house which was charted to be full coverage before I bought the plan.

hummm, not acceptable rationalization on your behalf. I'll be sharing your response.

0 Likes
Re: Re: Low Cell Service in Home
rcschnoor
Legend

hummm, I hope you DO share my response. Hopefully people DO look into the best cellular service for their area and don't make their decisions based solely on "approximate" maps which clearly state "These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer’s equipment, terrain, proximity to or inside buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service. Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy."

Basing a decision on ONLY that information is silly at best.

No, you are not out of line by wanting to take and place calls on your phone in your house. Unfortunately, it appears a Verizon phone is not up to the task. Therefore, you ALSO are not out of line to search for a provider which WILL allow you to do so. If you are within the 14 day window during which you can return the device and get a refund, possibly that would be your best course of action and looking for a provider which DOES provide service in locations which you require.

0 Likes