Leaving after 10yrs over unfair warranty policy. Verizon doesn't care.
ihrulesq

Had a warranty issue with my S3. Received a refurbished replacement under warranty. Had the replacement for a few months, during that time I occasionally had issues with the gps not working. Took it back to the retailer, they troubleshooted it but were unsuccessful in resolving the issue and determined the phone should be returned for a second replacement under warranty. I received the second replacement phone and returned the first replacement phone as required. About a month after returning the broken replacement phone I got a message from verizon saying the phone I had returned was found to be damaged with a cracked screen and that I would be charged $300 for it. I was not aware the phone had a cracked screen when I returned it so I called verizon, they claimed to have pics of the damage. My eyes are pretty bad so I entirely possible that it may have been cracked without me noticing. I understand that they refurbish these returned phones but to charge someone $300 for a cracked screen is unfair for a variety of reasons. First off, I've never received a refurbished phone with any sign of use on the screen, they may replace the screen on every returned phone anyways. Second, I can go to a repair store and get a new screen for $65 installed. Also, I have insurance on the phone, if I was aware of the damage I would've replaced it with my insurance. I could also just walk into a verizon store and flat out buy a BRAND NEW S3 for less than $300 AND I could've kept the old phone in that case also. I went over all this with customer service and they won't budge. I told them I was open to a compromise or some type of creative solution and they weren't willing to do anything at all. The guy told me that the $300 charge isn't specific to the S3. He said that even if it were the cheapest flip phone made the charge is still $300 for returning a broken, broken phone lol. So it seems like the $300 isn't meant to recover costs associated with the damage to the phone but more like a punishment or simply just because they know they got you over a barrel and want to stick it to you because they can. But that's not true for me. I've been through a divorce. My credit is ruined, I've had a foreclosure and I've lost nearly everything I ever had. I'm not worried about verizon dinging my credit. This is principal driven. I've given Verizon over 20K in the last 10yrs, I'm not giving them $300 for a cracked screen. And I've told them that, and they said fine,

I cannot continue to support a company that is unfair, unreasonable, and shows no loyalty or appreciation for its customers. I won't give them a dime for the phone or for anything else. They can put whatever they want on me credit and it won't make a bit of difference. I feel responsible to let people know what kind of company they are choosing to support and intend on continuing to do so for a long time to come. I'm sorry that it's ending this way, Verizon doesn't care.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Leaving after 10yrs over unfair warranty policy. Verizon doesn't care.
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Why is it unfair again?

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Ok. Now make Verizon Wireless - ihrulesq Wirless. It seems unfair to you that you have to pay for the damage? Would you feel the same if someone broke the window in your car and said that they didn't have to pay for it? Verizon does not replace your phone under warranty it is done by the phone's manufacturer. Let's clear that up first. Every other carrier makes you go to a third party for warranty issues. Verizon lets you go to one of their stores for your convenience. Verizon is charged a fee for returning the damaged phone back to Samsung. They have to pass that fee on to you since you broke your obligation under warranty by sending back a broken phone. Verizon paid for Samsung to ship them the phone. Verizon paid for the overhead for the warehouse where they keep the phone before it is sent to you. Verizon paid an employee to initiate the warranty replacement, my guess is this was done over the phone because if it was done in store and the phone was cracked it would not have been replaced. Verizon paid for the person to box it up. Verizon paid FedEx to ship you the phone and even paid for you to ship a phone back to them. Verizon paid a person to open the box and and make sure the phone gets sent back to Samsung. How does Verizon have to lose money on this deal?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Good luck with your new provider.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
3rdtime
Enthusiast - Level 1

Ok sprmankel, you have misunderstood my position here. Even though I do have legitimate reasons whyI feel like I shouldn't be responsible for the 300 dollar charge for right now let's pretend I don't. The overall point here is even if I'm completely responsible for a broken screen and I knowingly sent it back broken I still feel like Verizon as a huge corporation with who knows how much money, that I've paid over $20,000 to in the last 10 years, should be willing to work with me in some way on this in order to build my loyalty, show appreciation for my business and most importantly, to continue collecting money from me for the next ten years. When I spoke to them I didn't have my feet dug in demanding they get rid of the charge. I told them I was open to any  kind of creative compromise and made a couple suggestions that would have had zero impact to their bottom line. I even told them I didn't care if the 300 carried over into eternity as long as it wouldn't effect my service. They are the ones with their feet dug in saying if you don't pay for this broken, broken, refurbished phone we sent you that didn't work probably when you received it we will terminate service for your phone as well as the two other phones associated with your account. They take this position that no other business would have the stupidity to take because they think they have me backed into a corner with the contract and termination fees and are willing to ruin my credit over it. Like I said tho, my credit is beyond repair and anything they put on it would be the least of my worries. So now we are on level ground and I have the ability to expect them to be reasonable by conducting themselves as if they didn't have me over a barrel.

Now to address the other arguments that you made. I absolutely did take this phone into a Verizon store to let them attempt to resolve the issue, this was not done over the phone. The employee at the store determined the phone to be malfunctioning and actually made the warranty request himself. I assume that he was aware of the policy and didn't notice the crack either. Regarding Verizon being so great for going through all that fuss and doing us all such a huge favor by providing the phones that we use on their network. ..OMG, I wanted to be sick as I read that. Are you a child? Do you really think they do that out of the goodness of their heart and take a hit financially for it? LOL!!! Like they would be willing to do that huge thing but when it comes to my asking them to work with me on a little issue like this one all of the sudden they turn into the most money grubbing, unreasonable bussiness I've ever dealt with..dude, wake up!

0 Likes
3rdtime
Enthusiast - Level 1

The reason its unfair is because a replacement screen costs $65 installed.

0 Likes
3rdtime
Enthusiast - Level 1

*thats actually just one of the several legitimate reasons why it's unfair but this is about money so I thought I'd choose that one. And its a verifiable fact since I have a receipt for just having it done.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Doesn't matter. Here's why... Go to some other provider and get insurance and break your screen. Oops... You going to leave them too? The problem is insurance is set by the underwriter and not the carriers.

3rdtime
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey man, now I'm wondering something...

Did you not read the thread?? Or did you read it but not comprehend what you read?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

All carriers will do what Verizon just did. If you are going to base this on Principle then you will not have a cellular provider let alone buy any cell phone even unlocked. Manufacturers will charge your MSRP for their devices regardless of condition(just a cracked screen). Seriously though... There is not one place that will not charge you that other than Apple(you pay premium upfront which kind of negates this) for out of warranty repair($199 last I remember). If they no longer have that product or part and it's OOW they'll upsell you. Son broke my iBook and ended up paying $1500 for a Macbook Pro(intended to buy it anyway, but the iBook got me a discount).

Chances are the $65 you paid is for a Chinese knock off part and labor. Nothing wrong with that, but seriously.

0 Likes