Leaving Verizon and don't trust CSR's word
jp1218
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,

I am leaving Verizon Smiley Happy

I need help as to how to change to AT&T, I don't trust to call Verizon as I know only the notes the CSR's chose to put in the system from the last 3 weeks are in there, and I know they will give me incorrect information.  So I am asking you all for help.

I have 4 phones, 2 are month to month and two have the contract expiring next month.  My bill date states 11/22-12/21.  So did my next bill start on 12/22? and can I change my phone service on the 21st of the month without paying extra service charges of the following month.

I really don't trust the arrogant untrained CSR's at Verizon so I am really counting on you.

Thanks so much.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Leaving Verizon and don't trust CSR's word
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

2 ways you can do this.

1) Call ATT at (800)331-0500 and tell the representative you wish to switch over to AT&T (if your phones are 4G, then they are probably unlocked already due to the C block agreement where Verizon must have the devices unlocked out of the box; so you don't have to but new ones).

2) You can go to an AT&T corporate store, pick out new phones and tell the representative you want to port your numbers over. You will need the Account # (Verizon), account pin if any and the phone number you want to port over.

Note that because your 2 lines are under contract until next month, you will incur early termination fees.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

jp1218 wrote:

I have 4 phones, 2 are month to month and two have the contract expiring next month.  My bill date states 11/22-12/21.  So did my next bill start on 12/22? and can I change my phone service on the 21st of the month without paying extra service charges of the following month.

If you initiate a port with AT&T on Jan 21, it is VERY likely you will be billed for another month of service. Ports do not happen instantaneously and AT&T will likely tell you it can take up to a week for the port to be completed.

With that in mind, if you initiate a port with AT&T on 1/21 and it takes up to a week to complete, your line(s) with Verizon COULD still be active until 1/28 in which case you would be billed for another full month of service. In addition, if 2 of your phones are still under contract until next month, you would incur ETF's on those lines.

What you may want to do is to initiate a port on the 2 lines which are month-to-month around 1/13 or 1/14. That gives you a week for the port to take effect and you should NOT be billed another month for those 2 lines. After your contract has been completed on the other 2 lines, you could initiate another port with AT&T a week or so before your billing cycle ends and add those 2 lines to your AT&T account at that time.

If you are currently on a Share Everything plan with Verizon, you may want to change your data allowance to reflect the 2 phones being removed from your account. Have the change take effect at the beginning of your billing cycle beginning on 1/22.

Good luck with your new provider.Smiley Happy

0 Likes
wildcat2
Contributor - Level 1

Speaking from personal experience, it only took AT&T about 1 hour to port my number over from Verizon. So it's sure to be done within 24 hours usually. For big companies, it's usually quick (not instant fast, but fast).

Did end up porting back to Verizon and that took 1 hour as well tops.

0 Likes