Lack of data detail
jchrisrock

I am frustrated by Sprint's approach to (a) charging fees for exceeding data caps while (b) not delivering more detail on the data being tracked (and charged for). We are using a MiFi hotspot for our rural home internet, and we continually run up against our monthly cap of 20GB.

We use multiple devices (desktop computers and tablets) but never stream movies and rarely stream videos or music. Our only usage is typical low-volume internet and online gaming (Minecraft) that is restricted typically to less than two hours a day. And yet we still break 20GB nearly every month, many times due to large chunks of unexplained data that could be auto updates downloading, though we don't know because of the lack of clarity on what device is using bandwidth in what manner. We have, by the way, turned off every single auto update function we can find, and we still get hit.

Our wifi network is password protected, so we are reasonably sure no one else is using our data. But again, we can't be sure because there's no detail in the data reporting.

What is Verizon's plan to help users who are otherwise very satisfied with their service to have better visibility as to what they are being charged for? Right now, there is little or no accountability on Sprint in regards to data reporting, at least not that I can tell. We're simply told "you used this much" and "you're over so pay more."

This has become frustrating enough that we are considering dropping Sprint for alternative services.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Lack of data detail
marve979
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your usage for your 20 gb plan is accurate as minecraft is video based and could use much data even if it is for a couple hours a day conservatively if the minecraft is being used on one device at a time for 2 hours could easily be 1gb of data multiply it by 30 days and there is where your usage is going

To help you monitor your data usage: if your device is android based then go the settings app on the device and tap on the data usage selection and make sure the data usage cycle is set to the correct dates based on your bill cycle day, then look at the apps listed below and you will discover where your data usage detail went it also will differentiate your data usage detail while on wifi or while on mobile data.

Apple based device is: settings app>cellular and it also lists the data usage by the app.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I do not think you will see more details or different attitude from Verizon. You will see amount of data used in a time period, but no breakdown to what sites or what connected device. Verizon, as with the rest, basically says you used it, you pay for it - doesn't matter how you used it.

What type of devices do you have connected. Do you turn off and disconnect devices when not in use? 20 GB is very little for home Internet in my experience. We go through about 20 GB every day on home Internet. 20 GB;month is only 682 MB a day which can be done in 20 to 30 minutes easily.

Too bad you didn't get in on the double data promotions when they were available. 30 GB was for $130, and all the upper GB levels were doubled. Hopefully they will have that again.

0 Likes
jchrisrock

Thanks, Weth. We try to turn off, disconnect, do all we can. We feel like we are using our internet at home very sparingly because of the price tag, and we're reluctant to up the cap and spend even more money. Other providers are offering relatively good deals right now, but we are very frustrated with caps in general and would rather try a different path (local/regional radio providers that means we'll sacrifice speed but have no limit).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to feel frustrated with your plan jchrisrock. I understand cost is very important these days, but you definitely need reliable service. We can definitely look at other plans to find the best option for you. Please follow me and send me a Direct Message so I can assist.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

How To: Direct Message  and  adas_vzw

0 Likes
jchrisrock

I have followed you, Adas_VZW, and still gotten no response or message.

0 Likes
marve979
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your usage for your 20 gb plan is accurate as minecraft is video based and could use much data even if it is for a couple hours a day conservatively if the minecraft is being used on one device at a time for 2 hours could easily be 1gb of data multiply it by 30 days and there is where your usage is going

To help you monitor your data usage: if your device is android based then go the settings app on the device and tap on the data usage selection and make sure the data usage cycle is set to the correct dates based on your bill cycle day, then look at the apps listed below and you will discover where your data usage detail went it also will differentiate your data usage detail while on wifi or while on mobile data.

Apple based device is: settings app>cellular and it also lists the data usage by the app.

0 Likes
elwoodbuffa

That is a misleading reply for Apples.  The app that consumes the most data in my case is Safari, and Safari is really just an entry point to many other sites that consume data.  Why can't you tell the user what within Safari is consuming data?  Right now you bill for data without acounting accurately what ran up the tab.  What a good deal you have, just bill for what you claim was consumed without telling the consumer the sites!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

welwoodbuffa,

We always want to keep our users in the know when it comes to usage. Since our tools work alongside the system that bills you, we prefer our data utilization tool over features a device can offer. Our Data Utilization fool allows you to narrow down what category of usage consumed your data while respecting your privacy, and which sites are visited online. Here's a direct link to our Data Utilization tool: https://myvpostpay.verizonwireless.com/myv/myusage/

KatiM_VZW

0 Likes