LTE signal getting worse over the last 4-5 months in 84106
Meerkatderp
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in an area of Salt Lake City called Sugarhouse, and for the last 4-5 months it seems like the LTE service in this area has just gotten worse and worse. The area in particular is South of I-80 along Highland Drive.

At first I thought that it was my phone (Droid Charge) so I went through troubleshooting at a store, which included resetting my phone to defaults and getting a replacement SIM card. Neither solved the problem, and I didn't think the final step of replacing the phone was necessary because the same phone gets full LTE signal at work downtown and in many other areas.

Since then, I've purchased a Verizon iPad with LTE and have seen the same exact behavior on both devices. They will both drop to 3G in most areas of the house including outside in the open. The Droid Charge has also dropped to 1x a few times, but I don't think that's happened since the recent update. Sometimes the devices will bounce back and forth between LTE and 3G, which is bad because if I forget to put my phone on the charger overnight, or forget to set it to CDMA only, I'll wake up with a dead phone.

Something else that I've noticed during the last month or so, is that when I do find a spot in my home that I can get 1-2 bars of LTE signal in, that particular spot is good for a limited amount of time. I've left my phone and iPad in a spot that has LTE signal, and anywhere between 10 minutes to 6 hours later the device will drop to 3G. Sometimes I'll be able to get LTE back if I move the device around a bit, sometimes it will stay on 3G despite repositioning.

I'd be happy to offer up any additional information if needed. I'm desperate to get a good stable LTE signal! Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LTE signal getting worse over the last 4-5 months in 84106
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Meerkatderp! I'm sorry to learn of any issues you have encountered in the last few months! I appreciate all that you have tried in an attempt to get this resolved too. I'm happy to help you w/your 4G data connection! Because you gave such thorough information about the location in which you are having trouble, I was able to locate the area on our coverage map. This area is showing to be covered nicely with 4G service, with towers all along Highland and south of I80. I did check my resources to check and see if any trouble tickets have been made for the area, and I don't see a problem reported there.

This doesn't mean I doubt you in the least! (I just want to make sure that is clear) But, what it does do is point my attention to your device. I'd like to ask you to try some troubleshooting steps with your phone. I have listed them for you.

1) Press and hold the power button, turn on Airpland Mode, wait 15 seconds, then press and hold the power button again and turn off Airplane Mode.

2) Please remove the battery and the SIM card from the phone for about 60 seconds, reattach, power on, and monitor.

3) Complete a master reset on the phone, once you have backed up the information. Here are the steps:
http://bit.ly/SjwrC2

4) Here is an application that is recommended from the manufacturer of your device to help with this as well:
http://bit.ly/Ov7Dq1

Please let me know how these steps work out, so we can make sure you are able to enjoy the 4G network.

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Meerkatderp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Christina. Thanks for the reply.

I have already tried a couple of device resets as well as tried to have the SIM card replaced. I was told to try and disable and re-enable the wireless radio in my device to try and get it to reset the connection, but that doesn't seem to happen.

Some additional information, I've never used any kind of battery saver program on my phone or any kind of other optimization type program like that. My signal will bounce wildly at all times while in my home. Most of the time I will only have a 3G signal with anywhere from 1 to 4 bars. I seldom see 5 bars even on 3G. What happens is that the bars will bounce from 1 to 4, 1 to 3, and it will do this even while the phone is sitting completely still. I'm only able to get 4G if I position the phone in a certain spot in my home close to the south facing wall. Same with my iPad as well.

Upon further inspection, it does indeed seem as if Verizon has good coverage around here, but I seem to be the unfortunate soul in a spot situated between at least 2, and maybe 3 different towers that are all fighting for my signal.

I will try that app to see if it helps at all. But if it does not, what would by my next move?

0 Likes
Meerkatderp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi again Verizon,

We have a family friend currently staying at our house who owns an iPhone 4s. She has also experienced this signal bouncing on her own phone. Is there any way to program our phones to only communicate with the closest tower instead of having our signals bounced around however many towers are fighting over our signals?

0 Likes
Meerkatderp
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon... please help. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Sorry about the delay Meerkatderp. We're working as fast as we can to get to posts in the forums, but it's usually not too immediate of a reply. I hope your friend has a good visit. Since you mentioned the service in the area is good but the trouble with the signal bouncing from interference seems to be in your home, there's an accessory called a Network Extender http://bit.ly/AKkC that helps improve indoor service performance. It's a great way to bring that good coverage into your house to avoid the interference that comes with trying to use a phone indoors.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes