LTE 4G frequent data connection loss on co-wokers and my own devices
Zdroid
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have always found VZW to have very dependable data connection, even back in the 1xrt days. Since late August, VZW is having frequent zero data coverage in several metro Atlanta counties.  It is not device nor cell tower related, as it is multiple devices in different counties.

I can find no time of day pattern. Sometimes its seems the XLTE is not working and the device will not switch to 700MHZ LTE or 3G EVDO frequencies.

Sometimes forcing the device to 3G works but recently no 2G, 3G nor 4G connections. Outages are usually brief 1-3 minutes.

If I had to guess VZW can not handle switching frequencies or they have started shutting down cell towers to save on costs.

Tech support is trapped in trouble shooting a single device loop, and can provide no date when the "issue" will be resolved.

That is not going to work when the issues involves: Droid Max HD, Iphone 5s, Samsung 5s all lose data connections, at locations where we always enjoyed 6 to 24Mbps downlink speeds.

I even went so far to check with someone 30 miles away and they had a VZW data outage while mine was down.

Signal strength is always 73 or lower/stronger. At least when it reconnects to the service.

So why does a brief data connection outage matter? I guess android uses a 30 seconds DNS failover or all the apps wake up when a network connection is first established.. I just know when the data drops the device is so sluggish as to be unusable for a minute.

So most of the apps when I need them. Nothing like navigation losing data connection when you need it most.

Forbes and other trusted sources have the same experience.

I will check back for any possible solutions I have may have missed. Failing that I expect next week VZW will lose one of their oldest customers.

Labels (1)