LIED TO BY VERIZON... VERY UNHAPPY!!!
Thejumpsuitman

I am so disgusted by the way I was recently lied to by Verizon.  I have been on the old Unlimited data plan for quite some time and have kept it because I believed I used a lot of data.  I tethered to my Blackberry which worked great and was able to do everything I needed on the internet that way... even watching Netflix! 

My Blackberry broke and I bought another one on Craigslist and took it into a verizon store to have it activated.  While I was there they checked my plan to see how much data I used.  They told me about 3 Gigs a month.  I had not idea what that meant, but it sounded low so I was surprised.  They said I should go with a new plan with unlimited texting and get a new phone.  I said I would wait a couple more months to make sure it was really just 3 gigs I used.  So the other day I went in and had them check my usage...  Again, I was told we used about 3 gigs a month!  That sounded like good news, so I decided to get the 4g jetpack and new phones for my wife and I.  I also got her a Samsung Tab. 

Now, after just 4 days, we are almost already at our 6 gig limit!  There is no way on earth we were just using 3 gigs a month!  I was clearly LIED TO by the people at both stores about what our usage was!  I am so angry I could spit nails!  I feel like I was tricked out of my unlimited plan.  I plan to take all this crap back and cancel my contract completely and go with another service...  I have been with Verizon for almost 10 years, but this is unacceptable!!!!!!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: LIED TO BY VERIZON... VERY UNHAPPY!!!
Not applicable

When you only had phones it's very possible that you only used 3GBs of data per month.  But now you said you got your wife a tablet. (Samsung tab)  Now unless she's connecting to wifi for her data needs she could be using quite a bit of data. I say could be.

When you're on your phone, you should have an app called "My Verizon".  If you don't have it you can get it in the Google play store.  Anyway when you log into my Verizon, you can check the usage of all the phones and tablets on your account. Since you can do this you don't need to go to the Verizon store when you want to check data usage. You can see which phones, or tablet, on your acount is using data and how much.

Try this and see what you find out.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Did your wife use tablet BEFORE you got the mi-fi? If not you weren't lied too. Why are you not taking her new usage into account? Also the blackberry probably wasn't 4G so when you were watching Netflix through it you weren't getting the highest possible bitrate on the Netflix streaming. With the 4G jetpack you would. So once again you weren't lied to. So quit accusing Verizon of doing something it wasn't. You'r usage went up and you do not want to admit that. You CLEARLY admitted you had no clue what a GB was. Yet you're an expert that they lied about it? yeah makes sense. Here's an idea LEARN what a GB is.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

To add, to the other posts, most likely you were using 3GB a month. But BB are data misers also, due to how they handle data.

Now you have a basic modem and router and have multiple things running off of it, including a tablet. You will scream thru that data especially if you still are watching TV and Movies through it.

Log online and see how much data is being used per session. Copy and post (Without personal info) and we can help you understand a GB.

But to say VZW lied to you is a very big leap, as they did not.

0 Likes
Thejumpsuitman

I understand what you folks are saying, but maybe I didn't make myself clear...  I was tethering and using the blackberry as primary internet for about 3 years.  We would regularly watch netflix for 2-3 hours a night at HD.  I also uploaded an average of 30-40 pictures a night to ebay during that same time...  And that doesn't even count any direct data usage by the blackberry!

The only reason I changed anything was that I began working outside the house and my wife had no way to get on line while I was gone so I thought the jetpack would be the solution.  Now that I better understand data usage, there is no way on earth that we were just using 3 gigs a month! 

I have no doubt that the current data usage is accurate, but we are still rarely using two devices at once.  My wife is the only one online when I am gone during the day, during which time I am not using data.  My aggravation is rooted in the fact that I was told that our usage, which consisted of loading approximately 1000 pictures to ebay a month, browsing an average of 200-300 pages a night and also watching at least an hour of netflix every single day, was only 3 gigs.  That is B.S.!!!

I know that I would be considered a data hog, and that I am exactly the kind of customer Verizon does not want, but to lie to me about what I was using is absolutely unacceptable.  Today I am having cable internet installed so my usage will drop to near zero and I guess that is what they wanted all along.  Now to decide if it is worth all the hassle of taking all these things back... By the way, the jetpack is absolutely worthless to me now that I have cable with wi-fi. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thejumpsuitman wrote:

I understand what you folks are saying, but maybe I didn't make myself clear...  I was tethering and using the blackberry as primary internet for about 3 years.  We would regularly watch netflix for 2-3 hours a night at HD.  I also uploaded an average of 30-40 pictures a night to ebay during that same time...  And that doesn't even count any direct data usage by the blackberry!

And I'm telling you on that that blackberry you were NOT watching Netflix in HD. You would have been limited to 3G speeds. Netflix HD can use up to 3600 kbps for 720p or 1.5 GB per hour. Watching Netflix in HD for 2 hours a night would use 90 GB a month. A blackberry can not connect to mobile data at that rate of speed. A 4G mi-fi can. Also you're wife is using a tablet now. That was not being used before.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Thejumpsuitman wrote:

I know that I would be considered a data hog, and that I am exactly the kind of customer Verizon does not want, but to lie to me about what I was using is absolutely unacceptable.  Today I am having cable internet installed so my usage will drop to near zero and I guess that is what they wanted all along.  Now to decide if it is worth all the hassle of taking all these things back... By the way, the jetpack is absolutely worthless to me now that I have cable with wi-fi.

I would definitely take the jetpack back if you are within your 14 day return period.

I would not have even gotten it in the 1st place. My reasons would be 1)you also got new new phones which can perform the same function(I assume you upgraded from a smartphone to another smartphone), and 2)you have cable internet available which is much more cost effective than cellular(and reliable).

0 Likes
Not applicable

rcschnoor wrote:

Thejumpsuitman wrote:

you have cable internet available which is much more cost effective than cellular(and reliable).

I didn't see that before. WHY would anyone use mobile internet if they have cable internet available? Amazing. Jumpsuitman you SHOULD have been using cable internet all along. By the way your phones can use wi-fi so when you at home you can connect to you cable internet on your phones and not have to use mobile data. You'll it to be pretty easy to stay under 2 GB a month that way.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

There is no way you could watch in HD as 3G speeds do not support HD.

I see you have wIfI. Make sure each of you use the WiFi to connect the tablet and such.

0 Likes
Thejumpsuitman

1 hour of streaming HD is about 1 gig and an hour of lower resolution streaming is about a half gig...  This is according to the Verizon employee who was explaining my high usage over the past few days.   But this is still hardly the point!  I was using a huge amount of data when I used to tether on the unlimited plan yet was lied to about it!  They said I did not go over 3 gigs for the month. 

0 Likes