Keeping deceased son’s phone on but no usuage
tdnks
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have kept our son’s phone active, however no one uses the phone. We like to call it and just hear his voice. There is no data usage and maybe 1 min. Used at most for voice mail every few months. 

Verizon is charging us $24.99 per month. Is there a way to pay less.? Could we use it as a hotspot and only pay $10.00 / month? But would that allow us to still call the phone and hear his phone on the voice message? 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Likes
Re: Keeping deceased son’s phone on but no usuage
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Condolences on your loss.  Losing loved ones is a crushing challenge and preserving cherished memories is important.  I have a free app downloaded that I use to record all phone calls I make or receive, just in case I need them.  I can save the recordings to replay or delete them if not needed. Call Recorder is the app, however searching the Play or App Stores will result in many such apps.  You might look at these free apps and maybe find one that works to save what you need.

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
Re: Keeping deceased son’s phone on but no usuage
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

tdnks, our condolences over the loss of your son. We realize the vast importance of saving his voicemail so you have that recording saved forever. jav6 also provides some great alternative options. 

We want you to pay as little as possible if you decide to keep the line active. Changing plans or switching the device to a basic phone is the only way to retain the voice features on the line. A hotspot device will not work in this case. If you can save the voicemail as a voice memo on your phone or via an app that would be the best option. This way you're not paying for a line that isn't actually being used. Let us know if you decide on changing plans or switching to a basic phone. 

AlanS_VZW