Jetpack data usage
sonnymack
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've joined the long line of those users who are challenging data usage figures on the Verizon JetPack 4G. Some background first. I live in a rural area and have extremely limited access to any high speed connections. Prior to Verizon, I was using Sprint's Sierra Wireless 250U USB. The reason for switching was the fact that Sprint's signal was real iffy at times plus the limitation of one device. On May 14th of this year we purchased the Jetpack. We are casual users and within a few days, our usage exceeded our plan of 4G. Of course the standard response is to sign up for additional GIGs for more money and that was after the rep indicated that the excessive usage was because the system was "catching up". There was no way we used 4 GIG in just a few days. Verizon did up our plan to 6 GIG at no cost because I complained so loudly. There isn't anyone in Support who can satisfactorily explain the mysterious data usage. Our retailer (third party) has been extremely helpful and in the course of elimination, he reviewed my  laptap to ensure no apps were logging on causing data usage to go up, Since that time, I have been religious about monitoring data usage. What I have discovered in my case is that data usage continues through the evening when we are in bed. Being elders, we are in bed by 10PM. One last time, I contacted support and explained the scenario.  We live in a rural area and the closest neighbor is our son who lives about 100 yards away. Little chance of someone hacking. I indicated we are in bed by 10PM and by looking at the data usage, it was mounting up from the time we go to bed until I get up around 4AM. Almost hourly there is data use logged. The support rep indicated, after all else failed, that Verizon was "adjusting" usage! My response was "Adjusting from what???" "From previous days" was the support response.  So there you go folks, if you are using one of these devices expect Verizon  to adjust your usage at their discretion and if you are operating on the edge of your data plan, expect these "adjustments" to put you in the next plan for more money. I believe I've been more than cooperative in attempting to get to the bottom of this issue. Next stop,  the Federal Communications Commission. Read what you want into Verizon's data "adjustments" but to me it appears they are bumping up the usage to get you to the next plan level.

Labels (1)