Re: It's going to cost me over $600 for a new phone?
rcschnoor
Legend

iradi82 wrote:

So if I pay $600 for the phone, plus $40 upgrade fee, plus tax and I keep my discount I'm still paying almost $700 for a new phone.

No $40 upgrade fee when you pay full retail price. If a $600 phone is too much for you, go with a less expensive phone. There are many out there. I just counted 21 different smartphones on Verizon's website which are under $600 and even 2 or 3 which are under $200.

Now if you have to have the latest, high end smartphone you will be paying $600+, but just because you do not want to pay the price for those phones does not mean there are not smartphones for less cost.

iradi82 wrote:

I guess I didn't realize it would cost so much for a new phone!

It is only going to cost you that much for a new phone if you choose an expensive phone. This statement is like saying "I didn't realize I was going to have to pay $70,000 for a new car." Yes, you CAN pay that much for a new car, but there are MANY cars which do not cost that much.

krashintome

No offense,  but  this  is  BS.       If phone cost was always rolled into plans,  then why didn't plan  prices  decrease once people  had  to pay for  the  phones.  Answer;  It's  a  scam to  charge people  more  for  the  same  crappy  service  we've  had on  cell phones  since  the  80's.  

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

IT is true. Verizon has stated this in past.  After contract was over if you did not upgrade, Verizon profits just increased even more.  Plan prices are decreased by $15 or $25 when you buy your own phone, so you are wrong there. 

Not applicable

krashintome wrote:

No offense,  but  this  is  **.       If phone cost was always rolled into plans,  then why didn't plan  prices  decrease once people  had  to pay for  the  phones.  Answer;  It's  a  scam to  charge people  more  for  the  same  crappy  service  we've  had on  cell phones  since  the  80's. 

If you did the math you'd see paying full price or buying with Edge is cheaper than a 2 year contract. Won't matter 2 year contracts are going away soon.

0 Likes
krashintome

Explain to  me  how  24x $25 is  less than $600.       And  no,  plans have  not  gotten cheaper  by even $.01.   They are higher now  than they  have  ever been and  that includes  owning my  own phone  and  being on a  discounted loyalty plan. 

0 Likes
krashintome

Nope,  the plans  are higher  now  than  they have  ever been.   Check with some  folks who have  had cell phones  for more than a  few years

0 Likes
Not applicable

krashintome wrote:

Explain to  me  how  24x $25 is  less than $600.       And  no,  plans have  not  gotten cheaper  by even $.01.   They are higher now  than they  have  ever been and  that includes  owning my  own phone  and  being on a  discounted loyalty plan.

What is that supposed to mean? Full price or edge comes to the same amount. Edge is just saying full price over 2 years. Both of which is cheaper than getting 2 year contract. Do the math.

Prices are cheaper..

3 years ago when More Everything( then known as Share Everything )started.

10 GB plan $100, line fee $40. So 4 lines even if all off contract = $260

Today

10 GB $80, 4 lines off contract $15 each for a total $60 in line fees. Total bill = $140.

$140 is A LOT less than $260. Heck you can get 20 GB for a total of $200. Which is still cheaper than $260.

3 years ago - single line 2 GB plan off contract $100 a month

Today - single line 2 GB plan off contract $65 a month.

Today single line 10 GB plan off contract $95 a month.

0 Likes
Not applicable

krashintome wrote:

Nope,  the plans  are higher  now  than  they have  ever been.   Check with some  folks who have  had cell phones  for more than a  few years

I've been with Verizon since June 2006. You were saying? If we had stayed on the old Nationwide plans we'd be paying over $50 more per month and getting LESS data.

0 Likes
krashintome

Obviously  you were  paying a  lot more,  I  was  paying $30  for  unlimited  talk,text,  and  web loyalty  now it  is  $60.     that is  without  any  equipment  subsidy because I own my phone.   So,  again, how  did  my rate  go down?  it  didn't.     That's  great  that you have  had  them  since 2006.  I've been around since  '96

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

Much cheaper for me. 5 lines on Verizon, $35.60 per line, 30 GB never go over, data always on and freely used.  You just have to know what you are doing and you get better deals than I ever did before.  My monthly bill per line has never been this low, and I'm going back to the 1990s. It's the same with my friends and family on Verizon too.  Obviously you don't know how to play the game. 

0 Likes