Is using a Pantech UML 290 in a wired router considered a wireless hot spot?
WhiteDwarf

I use a Pantech UML 290 with the Verizon unlimited plan.  The USB modem is plugged into a MoFi MOFI4500-4GXeLTE V2 router.  Plugged into the router via patch cables are a desktop PC, a smart TV and an NVIDIA Shield android streaming device.  When I switched to the unlimited plan about 9 months ago I had no issue with the 10GB hot spot limit, as I was not using the Pantech modem as a wireless hot spot, I am using it as a modem for LTE 4G, which is supposed to be unlimited, especially for streaming.  When Verizon updated our plans and increased the hot spot limit to 15 GB, all of my LTE usage now seems to be considered hot spot...  I hit that 15 GB limit in a matter of days and the rest of the month the speed is so slow I can't really use my smart TV or the NVIDIA Shield to access the LTE for streaming, the modem is incompatible to plug directly into either one of those devices.  I only get the full LTE speed only when I the modem directly into a PC.  It seems silly that I have to remove the modem and plug it directly into each device I want to use at a given time instead of just using a wired router, plus that fact that the modem only works with a Windows or Linux device, neither of which my TV or NVIDIA Shield are.

Is this just the way it is now with Verizon "unlimited"?  It's not really unlimited anymore?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is using a Pantech UML 290 in a wired router considered a wireless hot spot?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

There was always a usage restriction on the Verizon Unlimited Plans. The data speed is restricted to 600 kbps after the customer uses the 10 GB now 15 GB limit of the LTE hotspot data. Whether or not Verizon Wireless was actively enforcing the restrictions, seem to be what was inconsistent since Verizon Wireless announced the plan. All of the data used by the USB modem is always considered hotspot data usage. You might want consider switching that line to a tiered data only plans for a larger high speed data allowance.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Is using a Pantech UML 290 in a wired router considered a wireless hot spot?
WhiteDwarf

"All of the data used by the USB modem is always considered hotspot data usage"

That's not true...  Right now I am on throttled speed  (0.47 Mbps) when I plug the USB modem into the router, if I take out the modem and plug it into my PC directly and use VZAccess manager and do a speed test, I get 17 Mbps d/l.

And how the [removed]  is a USB modem for 4G LTE always considered hot spot?  Is it the same for the Internet Installed equipment?  That makes absolutely no sense...

Profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service​.

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.

0 Likes
TIMMIL33

Don’t let Verizon’s exaggerations or out right lies fool anyone. Unlimited isn’t unlimited. It isn’t unlimited with a soft cap. 15gb is a hard cap. You cannot do anything with 600kbs. It can be hard to even load an email with that. I mean come on. Give people enough that they can have something. If you are thinking of switching to Verizon, don’t. Any other choice you have will be cheaper, and any other non-Verizon plan will be more consumer friendly. My son has AT&T and use it is his only source of tv, streaming Netflix, Hulu, and Directv Now. He never is slowed to the point where he can’t stream any of those anytime he wants in full HD quality.  

0 Likes