Is this legitimate/affiliated?
m23lfshill

Since the beginning of May, I've been receiving a call every three days or so from an unknown-to-me (855) number, which I answered today. The man on the line stated that he was from Verizon, already had my name (which seems to be in favor of their legitimacy). We spoke of bringing me from my prepaid account, which I have maintained for years now, up to a post-paid account, that it would transfer any balance I had on my prepaid account, and that for signing a 2-year contract, I could receive a new phone. He spoke of waiving the activation fee and waiving a deposit (for the phone, I believe). For all intents and purposes, it appeared legitimate. He even referenced an earlier text message (which I know to be a common line of communication from company to customer) I received. He was as pleasant and professional as any representative I've spoken to over the years.

I am actually interested in making the change if this is legitimate, but the fact that it's coming from a difficult-to-verify source has me apprehensive, which is compounded by the lack of data I find on Verizon sites regarding the matter. I did not mistake him, as did some other callers posting to unknown number websites, as asking for my Social Security number, I know he meant the 4-digit access code (which I declined for the time being).

The text I believe he was referring to is the only one of its kind from 900070002219, which appears as such:
"VZW FREE MSG: Thank You for being a loyal Verizon Wireless Prepay customer. Great News! Based on your tenure and payment history you may qualify to take your Prepay number 2 a Single Line Post Paid Account with a reduced deposit requirement. We will waive the $40 activation fee. To take advantage of this offer call our Telesales Department @1-866-858-9349. To Opt Out Reply with X"

Any other "VZW FREE MSG" I've gotten came from a 90008000XXXX number, and the only other message I've received from 90007000XXXX has the unique opening of "Free Verizon Msg" and mentioned a free GB of data upon my next Auto-Pay. The Auto-Pay cleared the next day and I haven't since seen reason to believe I received that data.

I will disclose the original number should a representative request, but if it's not an affiliate, it's likely a smokescreen anyway.

Thank You.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is this legitimate/affiliated?
m23lfshill

I should add that in creating this post and compiling the research related to the texts, I do not believe it to be a legitimate offer due to sheer inconsistency.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Getting a call that frequently seems odd, but the text does not.  If you were to talk to an in store or phone rep for the offer, you would then know.  In the end, you can block that number unless it keeps changing, for which, Verizon has countless numbers to generate and call from and block the text, however that must be done through a 3rd party app on smartphones.  What did Verizon say when you visited a corporate store or called them?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

I received  a text offer for more data and did not call the number listed in the text, but instead called from my mobile phone *611. I stated that I thought it was a scam, but it turned out not to be and I got 4 extra GB of data for free; as soon as we hung up I opened my verizon data app and could see it. Call to verify.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
m23lfshill,
I would also be concerned if I received a call with a good offer from an unknown number. As a consumer myself, I would also be hesitant in providing my personal information specially if I receive the call. I was able to confirm the 1866 number does belong to our Telesales department so this is good news. The offers provided are promotions by Telesales and they would be the right department to contact in regards to these offers. I would suggest to call them and provide them with your 10 digit number. Upon verification, they will be happy to provide you all promotions and details of such offer and further assist.

I hope this brings some peace of mind and I look forward to having you back with a Postpaid account soon!

CarmenT_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes