Is this a deceptive practice?
Jdbusch
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was told on March 16, I was going to receive equipment, for free and they never sent it.

[Removed]

And according to:

815 ILCS 505/2) (from Ch. 121 1/2, par. 262)

Sec. 2. Unfair methods of competition and unfair or deceptive acts or practices, including but not limited to the use or employment of any deception fraud, false pretense, false promise, misrepresentation or the concealment, suppression or omission of any material fact, with intent that others rely upon the concealment, suppression or omission of such material fact, or the use or employment of any practice described in Section 2 of the "Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act", approved August 5, 1965, in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful whether any person has in fact been misled, deceived or damaged thereby. In construing this section consideration shall be given to the interpretations of the Federal Trade Commission and the federal courts relating to Section 5 (a) of the Federal Trade Commission Act.

(Source: P.A. 78-904.)

This seems to qualify... So who should I talk to about this matter?

chat transcription removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is this a deceptive practice?
rcschnoor
Legend

Jdbusch wrote:

According to the representative I chatted with that is the only option to make my service work

In many cases, that IS the only way to get your service to work, however it is normally a cost YOU would have to pay. Verizon has no obligation to provide free network extenders.

In many cases, the same result can be found simply by activating wifi calling on phones capable of doing so. This will give the same result without a cost to the customer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Jdbusch wrote:

I was told on March 16, I was going to receive equipment, for free and they never sent it.

What was the reason for the free equipment? When was delivery promised? How do you know for certain that they aren't still planning to send it?

0 Likes
Jdbusch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Reason for equipment is terrible signal, I get a -119 to -141 DB level, on the 16th I was told order was placed, and there was no order placed.

But after posting this, I was contacted and after 45 minutes on a recorded call, they first were still wanting to send a free network extender, but charge me monthly and extend my contract. Which was not what I was told originally.

But I explained what was going on, what was said and everything, repeatedly, until finally they are going to honor what I was told. 

rcschnoor
Legend

You are lucky, then, because Verizon doesn't normally send out free network extenders. This is an exception, not the norm. A bad signal is not a reason Verizon would send out a free extender in most cases.

0 Likes
Jdbusch
Enthusiast - Level 3

According to the representative I chatted with that is the only option to make my service work how they sold it to me.

Oh they had no initial intention of sending anything, but told me they would, and that the order was placed, blatantly lied. It took till me posting this, and posting a copy of the transcript ( the section removed up top) for public view before they held true to what they said.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Jdbusch wrote:

According to the representative I chatted with that is the only option to make my service work

In many cases, that IS the only way to get your service to work, however it is normally a cost YOU would have to pay. Verizon has no obligation to provide free network extenders.

In many cases, the same result can be found simply by activating wifi calling on phones capable of doing so. This will give the same result without a cost to the customer.

0 Likes
Jdbusch
Enthusiast - Level 3

So wifi calling, pay another company so that you can use the company you already pay... Lol. Rather than a company who promised you, the best nework, reliable service, blah blah blah, actually provide you reliability, and the best network. Lol

0 Likes
Jdbusch
Enthusiast - Level 3

And they're the cost to me I'm already paying 4 the service I'm already paying for the customer service I'm already paying under the agreement that I will have reliable service I'm pretty sure that it already does cost me to use the service

0 Likes
joey2007ua64
Contributor - Level 3

Jdbusch wrote:

So wifi calling, pay another company so that you can use the company you already pay...

Unfortunately, if you're not paying another company for high-speed residential internet service, then that network extender isn't going to do anything.

Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender - Verizon Wireless

The 4G LTE Network Extender utilizes your always-on Internet connection

Placed in your home or small business, the 4G LTE Network Extender is an extension of the Verizon network and acts like a miniature tower to enhance your indoor service. Easy to install, the device plugs into your existing high-speed Internet connection*** to communicate with the Verizon network.

0 Likes
Jdbusch
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, glad they are sending me a jetpack free too.

Since the tech who offered it up as a combination said it would work together and make the service work correctly.

0 Likes