Is it the service? Is it the phone?
usmaak
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I came to Verizon from Sprint, after 10 years.  In that ten years, their service has gone downhill dramatically, and their unlimited data is almost useless in my area.  I've heard nothing but good things about Verizon in this area (far south suburbs of Chicago).  So I decided to make the jump.

My wife and I each got Samsung Galaxy S3 phones.  After everything that everyone's been saying, I expected great service with a strong signal.  That has not been the case.  While at work and driving around, the service generally is good.  But at home, I rarely get better than two bars.  I'm looking at my phone right now, and the signal meter reads: 106dbm, 26asu.  That's about as good as it ever gets in our house.  Just as a comparison, I work in University Park, in the basement of a large concrete building, and my signal there is only marginally worse.  We do get LTE at home here, but it is not very fast.  What I will say as a positive is that it is very responsive.  I'm used to just sitting and waiting with Sprint.  Even simple web page requests took a minute or more to fully show up.  So Verizon is miles better in that regard.

I'm just wondering...  Is it the phones?  Do I just live in a poor coverage area?  I glanced around the internet, and couldn't find any real information about where the closest tower to me is.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is it the service? Is it the phone?
Tidbits
Legend

Samsung is known for having weak radios.  It's one of my biggest pet peeves when I travel to the states.  When I am in my home area(less than 1 mile from a tower) I always get great signal, but once I stray away it gets diminished.  I tend to have better reception with Motorola devices, and Nokia devices to date.  LG and Samsung smart phone radios don't cut it for me when traveling.  I always swap devices before I travel.

usmaak
Enthusiast - Level 3

That's unfortunate.  I really like the Galaxy S3, and I was excited to get it.  I did not know that it would have a problem with getting a good signal.  Now I am stuck, I guess.  I've had my phones too long to swap.  I might have held out for the Razr Maxx HD had I known.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I know some people would trade a Razr classed devices and give cash for S3's in Hawaii, but most S3 owners don't want to trade because it's hard to not be close to a tower here.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I agree with ya there Tidbits on the Moto's but i think i got a hold of a Crappy P.R.L because these past few days Maxx act's like he's got a Cold or has his head in the Toilet..he's not been connecting to good and when he does it's not for Very Long..

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Maybe that's 'cause he's mad that you threatened to throw him across the room the other day?   

Re: Is it the service?  Is it the phone?
B33
Legend

You may have hit that on the Nail tik he's ticked off an Like a my Cat use to do he does when he want's to Do...

0 Likes
Re: Is it the service?  Is it the phone?
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

speaking of ticked off ... have you checked your DM's lately? 

0 Likes