Is it safe to activate a phone financed by someone else?
MOMOS65

Dear.

I'm a Verizon customer and to replace my old phone, I recently 

purchased a never activated, new iphone from a private seller in eBay.

After I received the phone, I found that the seller sold this phone to me right

after he financed it from Verizon. The seller told me that he will pay off the phone

in his next bill, and I can switch the phone with my number right now.

My question here is, what will happen if I activate this phone now but the seller don't pay off afterward?

Then, is the balance of the phone still the seller's responsibility or mine?

Is it really safe to activate this phone now?

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is it safe to activate a phone financed by someone else?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question! As the device payment agreement is under the sellers name, the device payment will continue under that name unless you assume the line which would require an entire transfer of services. This would mean that the seller would need to release the line of service and agreement to you. At that point you would need to accept the line and start an account under your name. Does this make sense? KleoL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

You really think he is going to pay it off? The phone will be blacklisted and your account can be flagged for fraud. 

rcschnoor
Legend

Yes, it is safe to activate the device. Of course, if the seller fails to pay off the device(or continue with payments) for whatever reason Verizon would simply disable the device so that you could no longer use it.

mflandshark
Contributor - Level 3

If this happened after you bought it I would contact ebay (or who ever moderates the website) because that was dirty. I highly doubt that he's gonna pay it off which means your going to be stuck again without a phone after you dropped who knows how much to buy it.