Is data prioritization supposed to make your data plan basically unusable?
iChelseaSmileU

Hello-

I recently switched to the unlimited data plan post-paid from a prepaid plan because I needed access to more data. I am a high data user, so I fully expected to be throttled a little bit once I went over 22gb of data for the month, however, no sooner had I hit 22gb than I felt the full affect of the throttle. And while it doesn't always make my data unusable, it does a good portion of the time and as far as I'm concerned this is unacceptable. Why am I paying for an unlimited data plan when there are times that my data is completely worthless? .05mbps download speed makes my phone a brick, and I'm beginning to wonder why I switched to this plan. I have reset network settings, reset the phone, disabled and enabled cellular data, etc. I'm not sure what else can be done. I don't think this is a service issue as I get great service in my area and it's not an issue with the phone because there are some times that I have great data speeds, but the times that I really need it and can't even open a basic internet browser is extremely frustrating.

Is there any way to do anything about this or am I stuck with this unless I cancel my plan?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is data prioritization supposed to make your data plan basically unusable?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We really do not want you to cancel service,  iChelseaSmileU. We understand data is the need for most customer.

Most of the time you'll continue to enjoy the same great network experience once your line exceeds 22 GB during your billing cycle.

If you've already used 22 GB on a particular line during your current billing cycle, and are on a cell site that is congested at that moment, your download may be temporarily queued behind other Verizon Wireless customers, which may result in slightly slower download speeds relative to another Verizon Wireless customer's experience on the same cell site at that moment.

If you are on a tower that is not congested, you should notice significantly faster speeds.

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We really do not want you to cancel service,  iChelseaSmileU. We understand data is the need for most customer.

Most of the time you'll continue to enjoy the same great network experience once your line exceeds 22 GB during your billing cycle.

If you've already used 22 GB on a particular line during your current billing cycle, and are on a cell site that is congested at that moment, your download may be temporarily queued behind other Verizon Wireless customers, which may result in slightly slower download speeds relative to another Verizon Wireless customer's experience on the same cell site at that moment.

If you are on a tower that is not congested, you should notice significantly faster speeds.

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
iChelseaSmileU

Well I appreciate you saying that however that hasn't been the case. I don't mind having other users prioritized over myself when I go over 22gb a month, but when it makes my data connection useless it becomes a problem. There should be a way to make sure that the connection doesn't become so slow that I can't do anything with my data. Until then I will be extremely frustrated with the service. And if it keeps happening I will look for better service through another company.

0 Likes
a_p123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am seeing the same thing, I can use my connection at 2:00 AM, but during the day zero, less than dial up speeds. This behavior however will vary greatly depending on where you are, but in general do matter what Verizon would like you to believe it is data throttling (via prioritization) and MANY users will be losing any sort of effective internet link during the times they would like to use it most. If this is you then you can take comfort knowing you are only being re (de) prioritized not throttled. Set your alarm for 2:00 AM and surf all you like.

Verizon has implemented a huge change in their service plans and QOS engines, they have brainwashed their employees to spew the company line about how this is "for the good of all", and anyone in Verizon below Tier III will not even understand the technical details of packet prioritization or how it works...  but if you are a legacy unlimited plan holder your world is about to come crashing down.

My personal opinion is that Verizon has made a huge miscalculation and will experience significant backlash. The move was most certainly a strategic competitive posture to attempt regain of lost market share, I will be chuckling as I watch if it actually has the opposite effect which I think it might.

I feel your pain.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

What did you expect was going to happen? That you were going to be at 3G speeds? There are still people on the Verizon Plan with higher data caps and that are willing to pay the overage charges should they go over their limit. You chose this Unlimited Plan. Once you reach the 22GB you get to use data at slower speeds without overage charges. It isn't a VIP plan. If you wanted LTE speeds all the time you should have taken a plan with the option to get those speeds. In this case you get what you pay for and that is 22GB of high-speed data and then slower speeds via prioritization.

iChelseaSmileU

Sounds just like something a Verizon employee would say.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It appears to me to be written by an informed customer which is much better than an employee any day.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

iChelseaSmileU

No. Actually, it sounds like a Verizon employee posing as a general consumer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

iChelseaSmileU wrote:

Yes, that is what many people say when they don't get an answer which agrees with their own evaluation of the incident. It is not unthinkable that other customers may actually disagree with you.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

iChelseaSmileU wrote:

Believe me or don't but my paycheck doesn't come come Verizon or Verizon Wireless. I am a customer just like you. I am charged all the same fees and am subject to all the same plans that you are. I don't get any special promotions or incentives to be part of this community. I am here on my own time using my own resources. However, before I accept something that I will be paying for, I research it and read all the details and terms of what I would be getting. I am guessing that you didn't and that is why you're here. That is really the main reason why anyone comes here. To complain because they took something that sounded very good without educating themselves about it first.

0 Likes