Re: Is anyone else having extremely slow 4G LTE/JetPack Speeds?
SallyMae

Yes, I am in the mountains and there are a LOT of hills in this neighborhood.  If I were to stand in front of my house facing it, the terrain to the back and to the right is elevated above my house and has houses on it.  To the front and to the right things roll downhill gradually but steeply.  I am not near any water.  I get the 2Mbps speeds during the day until around 5 or 6 when they will get to around 5 and after 10pm/11pm they will get to 10-12Mbps.  On the weekend I get good speeds, around 10 Mbps until about 11am/12noon and then the speeds go down to around 2Mbps until around 10 or 11 at night when they go back up to around 10-11Mbps. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

SallyMae,

Sorry about the confusion replying to RobinD_VZW! This was definitely the right way to do it. Thank you for these details! Being in the mountains or areas with high terrain can impact signal, but it is strange that it picks up at later times for you. What plan are you on currently? Is this your only VZW device? Any other VZW devices in the area (friends and neighbors) having a similar issue?

RuthW_VZW
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
arkainzeye
Contributor - Level 1

well i guess this isnt a secret if the big man himself admits it..?   Verizon admits network faces traffic pressure in big cities - CNET

0 Likes
KMI2014

I created a thread but since this has a response from a Verizon rep I wanted to post here. I also have an 890L jet pack and I've noticed speed go down the drain during the day. At night I can pull 17Mbps down and around 4Mbps up but during the day I can barely get 1Mbps - 3Mbps down and 1Mbps up. During the day the network in my area seems to choke.

This is basically my only option for decent internet since no one cares about rural areas. It's either dial up, satellite, 3G Evdo or Lte through Verizon, no one else offers Lte here. I have the device sitting on a window with three bars of service constantly but only as long as the device is in the window. If I take it down it drops to one bar, move away a bit further and drops down to 3G then to 1x mode. Even if I step out on my deck which is by the window I get one bar of Lte or 3G but I'm not complaining much because it's still better than other options.

So it's connected to a rural tower near Montezuma, NY or Port Byron, NY. I don't think the tower is that far away, maybe 1 1/2 to 3 miles max but all towers regardless of network doesn't provide very good coverage. The towers are all by the state thruway so the antennas are likely pointed that way so anything opposite to the thruway doesn't get good signal or quality of service.

The device I have doesn't have an antenna but I don't think three bars of Lte is bad.

0 Likes
Swimfan1984
Enthusiast - Level 3

@warriormedic wrote:

For about four days now my JetPack has been steadily slowing down to about 0.30 Mbps download speeds.  I am in the zip code area 37203, right in the middle of downtown Nashville, TN.  A co-worker is also experiencing the same issue with a different JetPack.

The issue is supposedly being "investigated" by tech support, but there are no apparent known issues with the network.

This speed is slower than the 3G service I get with my AT&T phone.  Is this a common problem?  Why am I paying for non-existent services?

I’m sorry to say that this kind of service is par for the course with Verizon. They have no qualms about advertising certain speeds prefixed with “as fast as”, or showing “excellent” speed and coverage for your location when doing your homework before signing up. Then, when you’re signed up, customer service will have you spend HOURS (16 straight hours once, for me) answering the same questions 10 different ways (none of which result in poor reception) until they go home and another rep takes their place and starts all over again. If you’re lucky, they’ll offer you a signal booster that must be used with your home internet service and costs something like $200 .

It’s no wonder the FCC  is invested hated their falsifying coverage maps, preventing other small companies from applying for government money to install the infrastructure needed for 4G. If it’s already there, why build it? Sinpl, because it isn’t and they lied. 

Incidently, my jet pack is slower than dialup and was a complete waste of money. Thats 2 phones and a jetpack, and still can’t watch a YouTube video standing in my front yard. And yet, I’m supposed to pay for a network booster? In a major US metropolitan area? 3 blocks from a Verizon corporate store? 

Bet I will....

0 Likes