Is Verizon going to end up with a Class Action Lawsuit regarding the Trade-In Scam?
Jagged

I notice I'm not the first to report this issue.  In fact, after reading the horror stories in the community, I'm questioning if going with Verizon Wireless and/or using their online trade-in program was the right thing to do.  I see so many other people experiencing the same nightmare, I figure it's just a matter of time until there's a Class Action Lawsuit against them regarding their Trade-in Scam of 2014.

I was lured to Verizon by their promotion of receiving $200 for my iPhone 4s.  I pre-ordered my iPhone 6 online on 9/12.  Following the check-out, I was given the option to complete the online trade-in program.  My iPhone 4s was in perfect condition as it was kept in a LifeProof case since day 1.  Being in that condition made it eligible for the full $200 trade-in value.

My iPhone 6 arrived on time.  I transferred my data from the iPhone 4s to the iPhone 6.  Then ensured the 'find my phone' feature was turned off, all passwords unlocked and factory reset completed.  Then I fully charged the phone and turned it off prior to packing into the provided trade-in program materials/envelope.

I was a little concerned about the trade-in program materials/envelope.  The envelope itself was nothing more than a padded envelope.  It was a pre-printed business reply envelope.  No tracking number other than a bar code with my submission id on it and then stamped with the word PROMO.  I was hesitant to drop it in a mailbox so I took it right into my local post office.  That was on 9/23.

I started checking the trade-in status a week later but the status was 'Not Received'.  Another week later, same thing.  Finally, I reached out to the trade-in program via email on 10/11.  I received a 'canned' response back on 10/16 that I should wait 4-6 weeks for my gift card.  That time period includes a 2-3 for inspection and processing from the date of receipt at the warehouse.

On 10/25, I reached out again to the trade in program via email.  On 10/26, I received the very same response... word for word.  I reached out again on 11/7 and they didn't even reply.  I tried calling but got no where by phone.  They claim they'll escalate the issue but I never hear back.

I really feel scammed out of $200 by using this online trade-in program.  The guideline stipulated that I must use the supplied packing materials and envelope or the promotion amount would not be guaranteed; however, without tracking there is no way to know where the phone is.

Come on Verizon...  you lured me in, now do the right thing and send me the $200 gift card I was promised.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Verizon going to end up with a Class Action Lawsuit regarding the Trade-In Scam?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You probably should read the Customer Agreement link at the bottom of every Verizon Wireless web page especially the part that concerns class actions.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Re: Is Verizon going to end up with a Class Action Lawsuit regarding the Trade-In Scam?
comcom
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've gone through the same process as you've described with a different twist. They advised me that the screen on

my phone was cracked. They are sending me $36 instead of the Appraised Value of $200.  I'm not an Attorney

but I would bet it would be an easy win over Verizon in a Class Action, because this whole process smells

bad. There must be tens of thousands of people getting ripped off and they're not all liars, which is what Verizon would have a judge believe. Contract or no contract, most states prohibit Agreements that would negate consumer protection

from fraudulent business practices.

Verizon may play hardball with it's disenchanted customers and there isn't much you can do as an individual.

This just happened with me on one phone and I'm waiting for news of a second phone that I sent at the same time.

In the meantime I will visit the Verizon Store and talk to the salesperson who sold me the two new iPhone 6's

and see what he can do. I will also contact my local Better Business Bureau office for their advice. If there's no satisfaction, I will keep the phones, stop paying my bill and get a new carrier. They can take me to court, but I will be there first in@ Small Claims Court. I'm retired so I have time to do this stuff, but most people can't, so the best bet is still a

good Lawyer with a Class Action Suit and lots of negative publicity in the papers and the internet.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Per decision of the US Supreme Court class action lawsuits are not allowed as long as the carriers have an arbitration clause and single rights of actions. Verizon has both.

But you can sue them in Superior Court or a State Supreme Court or use your states Attorney General or Consumer Protection Agency.

Good Luck

0 Likes
internetfate_net
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just to reinforce everyone else's statements, here is a portion of the customer agreement;

"(3) THIS AGREEMENT DOESN'T ALLOW CLASS OR COLLECTIVE ARBITRATIONS EVEN IF THE AAA OR BBB PROCEDURES OR RULES WOULD. NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF THIS AGREEMENT, THE ARBITRATOR MAY AWARD MONEY OR INJUNCTIVE RELIEF ONLY IN FAVOR OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTY SEEKING RELIEF AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO PROVIDE RELIEF WARRANTED BY THAT PARTY'S INDIVIDUAL CLAIM. NO CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE OR PRIVATE ATTORNEY GENERAL THEORIES OF LIABILITY OR PRAYERS FOR RELIEF MAY BE MAINTAINED IN ANY ARBITRATION HELD UNDER THIS AGREEMENT. ANY QUESTION REGARDING THE ENFORCEABILITY OR INTERPRETATION OF THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL BE DECIDED BY A COURT AND NOT THE ARBITRATOR."

0 Likes