Is There A Way To Filter Out Phishing Text Messages?
SCHIN26
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've seen a big uptick in the number of phishing text messages lately, pretending to be from every company that people may have an account with (i.e. banks, Apple, Google, Microsoft) trying to get them to go to a link.  Most people know to just ignore these and so they're just an annoyance, but there are enough people who aren't tech savvy enough or are too trusting who do click on these links to encourage these scammers to keep on trying.

Given that the format of these messages are fairly similar and would be easily detectable by a simple machine learning trained filter, it would be great if Verizon could just filter them out (could add a "Report Message" option to the Verizon Messages app for example).

Thanks!

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Feature Request: Filter out phishing text messages
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

SCHIN26 wrote:

it would be great if Verizon could just filter them out (could add a "Report Message" option to the Verizon Messages app for example).

That already exists, i.e., when using Verizon Messages, long press a text message until you see a pop-up menu; the last entry is Report Spam.

View solution in original post

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Send (forward) any messages you get like that to SPAM (7726) to report the message to Verizon.

tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

SCHIN26 wrote:

it would be great if Verizon could just filter them out (could add a "Report Message" option to the Verizon Messages app for example).

That already exists, i.e., when using Verizon Messages, long press a text message until you see a pop-up menu; the last entry is Report Spam.

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

tikibar1 wrote:

I learn something new every day!!

SCHIN26
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks - good to know!  I actually checked just the Windows app version (which is probably out-of-date), since I usually use Facebook Messenger on my phone... 

Does anyone know if Verizon just blocks spam messages on a per-sender basis or if they have a more advanced filter?  It'd be great if they had a broader filter that blocked anything with an obvious phishing URL (i.e. verizonwireless.ignore.that.im.a.spammer.com).

Sax68
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is this feature gone? I do not have that option when I long press, only typical options, send mute add to contacts delete and save. I am getting spam text every day. I dont want to add them to contacts in order to block using the call filter. I pay for the plus and the plus filter implies it will block text but I'm not seeing anything in any readme's that tell how to do that.

Tags (1)