Is Chicago LTE completely overloaded? I rarely get LTE anymore, only 3G.
speckyradge

I live in Chicago, I tend to be in the 60647 and 60622 zip codes. Reception and data rates used to be great. Over the last 3-6 months LTE rate seemed to decline, and now my phone rarely connects to the LTE network, I get 3G 90% of the time. When I do get LTE, it's typically showing slow and nearly always fails over to 3G eventually. That makes matters worse as I have to repeat whatever I was trying to do when the phone switches between the two. I'm on an iPhone 5S.

My wife is also on Verizon and seems to have similar issues, though not as bad, with her Samsung S5. Are others seeing the same issue? Is there any phone tweak to improve matters? Does a newer phone improve matters?

Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Is Chicago LTE completely overloaded? I rarely get LTE anymore, only 3G.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
Speckyradge, I want to make sure that we get you the service you deserve in the Chicago area. I was able to review the details of the area that you have provided. It looks like you should have stellar service there. Since you and your wife have had these troubles have you been able to power off both of the devices and remove the sim card for a good 10-15 seconds, then place everything back together and re-try the network? Here are the link on how you can do that with each device:

Samsung Galaxy S5: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-99556/
iPhone 5S: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-85347/

Please keep us posted after you tested this step for us.

KevinR_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
speckyradge

Thanks, I'll give that a go.

0 Likes
speckyradge

Still no improvement after taking the sim card out for 15 minutes. Near the Damen & North intersection of Chicago, I get an LTE signal but the data rate is so slow it's unusable. Switching LTE off at least gets me usable 3G. Nearby, my phone flip flops between LTE and 3G.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

speckyradge,

Thanks for giving that a shot! I am familiar with the Chicago area and the coverage in the area. This fluctuation is definitely odd and concerning. To be sure, does this happen in specific locations within the city? Do you notice the change in reception when indoors or outdoors?

AdamG_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Vaio165
Contributor - Level 1

I have the same issue in my city from VZW 4GLTE map I should get full 4G but never do. I will get 4G but when I go on the internet it will kick down to 3G every single time and cant do anything on 3G. I know they say trees halls can make the signal week but come on it should work at some point. I say they just say that as a cover up because why do I have the same issue outside my house and the park.

0 Likes
speckyradge

Indoors or outdoors is the same, it's anywhere that is extremely busy. Specifically within about a half mile radius of the Damen & North junction (the 6 corners). There is an absolute dead zone all the way up Damen until north of Fullerton. I have 2 bars of LTE at all times, but data rates are now so bad I have to switch off Late and manually go to 3G to use data at all. The building rooves at the 6 corners interchange are covered in cell antennas, maybe ATT just dominate the area? It used to be great in this area....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

speckyradge,

We do appreciate all the information you are providing. There could be a number of things effecting the signal there: buildings, traffic using the towers, which towers you are actually picking up. Does this occur at specific times of the day or is it all the time in these areas?

ChristinaM_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

As you mentioned you could be using another carriers tower which is why you're seeing a slow down.

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

The maps can be misleading that is for sure. They tell you where it's possible to get 4G, but there are way too many factors for them to say it's a sure thing. It's always good to let them know where they can improve cellular service, just don't be surprised if there isn't a quick fix.

0 Likes