International residence and phone plans
freezerburn

Hello Forum- I need some advice:

I am going to be abroad for about 4 months in London this next year and I am trying to figure out my phone situation there. I am looking in to change my LG enV (a great phone! but the contract is up!) for something new- probably a smartphone with email- and want to see if it would be possible to use that new phone abroad. With the introduction of skype mobile it may be a cost effective option.

Does anyone know how much it would cost/ how much of a hassle it would be if I went to London and purchased a SIM card there with a prepaid or monthly plan through say Tesco Mobile to put into my smart phone? The rates are pretty reasonable there and I would be able to make local calls and no longer be "roaming." Data plans too are relatively cheap with that option. also- would skype mobile work?

Or should I not worry about this and just buy a phone when I'm there. Would it be possible to use a WiFI phone (if I purchased say a Droid or Blackberry) in WiFi hotspots (what kind of plan would I need to do that..) in London but still have my local English plan phone?

If anyone has any input or advice for me I would really appreciate it! The idea is to keep cost low because London is just so expensive. But I also want to have some gadgets if I can..

Thanks everyone.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: International residence and phone plans
sadie85
Contributor - Level 3

If you are looking you use a phone in London you need to get a global phone that has a SIM card...Tour, both storms, HTC Ozone, Imagio are the smartphones I can think of that are global. The global data plan is $64.99 and is unlimited. Voice calls and text are all pay as you go. If I remember correctly from my trip to the UK, it's $.99/min, $.05 to receive a message, and $.25 or $.50 to send a message. Unfortunately Skype Mobile isn't for international roaming.

If you wanted to get a SIM card from Tesco you'll need to have Verizon unlock the SIM on the phone before you go. All of your rates would be determined from Tesco or whatever carrier you use. Keep in mind the exchange rate. If something is £30 it's probably going to be $50-$60

Either way you look at it it's gonna to costly to call/text people in the US while aboard. My suggestion...bring a laptop/netbook and use Skype/Facebook/instant messagers to keep in touch with friends/family in the US. Get a phone over there and use it to get in touch with your new friends in UK. Also UK cell companies are much more...generous when it comes to international rates. Rates are cheaper and some don't charge for receiving text messages.

Enjoy your time aboard!

0 Likes