Re: Insane data overage, excessive unexplained usage
emanning99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I apologize for the typos in my previous post. I'm posting from my phone,

with the awesome TM service I now have! Smiley Happy

katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

I concur with all of this. Any class action law suits out there? We filed a complaint with the FTC.

Kate

Rn2015

I am having the same issues. Innthe last month suddenly I get text after text of data overages.   I had  8 gb plan among 4 phones, and for almost a year we were well below that.  Now Verizon claims one phone is using almost 6gb?  thats impossible!!! 

im sorry everyone else is dealing with this, but am glad I am not alone.

we have 2 iphone 5c on the plan, a droid mini and a droid maxx.   it seems to have started with the forced system updates and all these apps we can delete from our phones.

I never have location services on, the iphones dont enable mobile data.    there is no explanation for this at all.

0 Likes
Anni17

Any resolution for this issue?  My Droid phone was damaged so I purchased a new iPhone 5S.  My old phone had unlimited data and with the new phone I had to switch to the More Everything Plan (ironic name considering I had More before and had much Less after changing to this plan).  I only had the phone for 6 days out of the billing cycle.  I got my bill and had a $30 overage fee!  I was not informed that data usage would be prorated though in hindsight I should have assumed.  BUT my average monthly data usage is around 2 GB.  In the June billing cycle Verizon said I used close to 6GB and over 2GB is just the 6 days with the iPhone.  I had fewer apps on the iPhone since I hadn't gotten around to reloading everything yet.  The only thing I did differently was try to back up contacts and photos to Verizon Cloud.  Tell me somewhere a warning is stated that using the Cloud would consume mass amounts of data??? 

I contacted Verizon through Facebook since they discontinued email as a method of contact for customer service.  Thanks for that Verizon!  So I got a response via FB telling me to look at my detailed usage.  I did.  I see several unusal spikes in data usage.  Doesn't tell me anything though because I don't remember what I was doing every 10 minutes throughout the month of June. 

- I was not told data would be prorated and I would only have 0.799 GB for the week I had the new phone.  I have had unlimited data as long as I have had a smart phone so I never needed to monitor data usage. I didn't even know what 2GB was until now.

- I saw no warning that Cloud back up is slow and will consume data like crazy.  Again, wasn't accustomed to monitoring data usage so it never occurred to me this was something I needed to be careful with.

- No recommendation to change all apps to WiFi only so I wouldn't use precious cellular data.

I am beyond frustrated and wish I bought a phone on Ebay and just transfered service to a new device.  I wouldn't be in this mess!!!

0 Likes
katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

Our solution was to move to T-Mobile. We had just started a 2-year contract with Verizon. T-Mobile paid the cancellation fee. Best part is there NO overage charges. If you hit your monthly limit, you can either up the limit or it just slows down to 2G for the rest of the month. Also, no contracts. It's a month to month service.

Kate

Personal info removed to comply with the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Not applicable

You did not lose unlimited data. You gave it up for getting an $800+ cell phone for less than 1/4 the costs.

It was a trade off. You were not forced to lose unlimited data. You could have paid full price.

Good Luck

PS. There are no class action lawsuits per the US Supreme Court Decision. Only arbitration and single right of actions.

0 Likes
VZWSUKS

I have been battling these crooks since last March when we started having issues.  In our instance, we didn't catch it until we were 302 GB over our 5 GB plan.  Our Mifi is hooked up only to a rarely used desktop in a back bedroom, thus we did not see the text warnings until it was much too late. Our usage consists of checking e-mail, casual browsing, and an occasional YouTube video. There was an automatic software update in April after which everything seemed to go back to normal, but now again just in three days of light internet usage over the course of the last two weeks they say we've used 15 GB.  We paid the $3,000+ bill from the first instance in March so they wouldn't take us to collections.  I have the Kansas Attorney General chasing them, I suggest all of you do the same as it was a very easy process to file a consumer complaint.  FTC and BBB complaints are also things that should be done.  Per the contract you can do arbitration, mediation or small claims -- I am going to take them to small claims court as my understanding it that you should avoid arbitration or mediation and go the small claims route.  I am going to cancel our Verizon service and hopefully recoup the contract buyout money in court.  I will switch to AT&T and use the AT&T data usage as evidence against Verizon in court.   I am also going to start a crowd funding campaign to put up billboards with ads to do Google searches about Verizon data usage issues before considering doing business with them.  These forums with throngs of folks having these issues are not only comforting but also very helpful in proving that this is a widespread and very real issue.  Ask Verizon to provide the MAC Address(es) of the devices that consumed the data.  They won't, which indicates that they are not being honest.  The most disheartening thing about all of this is that nobody at Verizon will even pretend to be a human being with a shred of common sense or compassion.  I take that back, there was one guy in Tech Support that wasn't a total bastard.

0 Likes
FredSanford

I'm having this same issue that everyone else has described and I don't think Verizon views this as a problem.  They know full well what they're doing.  They've figured out a nice little revenue stream and screwing the customer in the process is just a byproduct.  I'm on WiFi all day yet I'll log into the VZW website at the end of the day and I'll see I've gotten dinged for data charges throughout the day.  There is no problem with VZW data usage calculations.  Again, they know full well what they're doing. This is an extra revenue stream for them and they're not about to shut it off.  The only way it will change is if everyone switches carriers causing VZW to start losing money.  Until that happens, nothing will change.  Plus, I'm sure VZW makes plenty of big $ donations to whatever congressmen are on the telecommunications committees so they have no incentive to address this issue.  This is why it's so frustrating. 

0 Likes
katericks
Enthusiast - Level 3

We have switched to T-Mobile and are pleased with the service. T-Mobile has gone to a "no overage" pollicy. You can go over your monthly plan but when you do, there will be no additional charge. They just cut you back to 2G (really slow, sort of like dial-up) until the end of the month. Then you start the next month with whatever amount you've decided on. Also, it's month to month. You don't get locked into these 2 year contracts AND they will pay the termination fee for quitting Verizon. If you really want to get a handle on finances, I have to recommend T-Mobile. We do have AT&T for our cell phones this gives us 2 services in case one has a weak signal. AT&T is not trying to rack up the overages like Verizon is but they do still charge for overages.

Kate

Sent from my iPad

0 Likes
emanning99
Enthusiast - Level 2

As I have noted in this thread, I switched carriers, and at this point I am

doubtful that I will ever pay the ETFs owed to Verizon. I will fight tooth

and nail before I pay them. I am not the type to let my credit score

suffer due to nonpayment, but on principle I cannot imagine paying a dime

to his scam of a company. My data billing after switching carriers

IMMEDIATELY returned to where it was prior to being with VZW, and with the

exact same phones and usage patterns. I work at home and am on WiFi

probably 98% of my life, and with VZW I was mysteriously going OVER my data

allowance that should have been at least twice what I would have ever

needed to begin with. Oh, and add to that the fact that the have not yet

credited my deposit to my final bill. They want their fees paid, but where

is my $125 per line deposit (times 4 lines!)?

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:49 PM, FredSanford <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes