Incredibly slow data speeds on LTE
Casp0907
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently switched to an unlimited data plan on Verizon as I kept getting charged overages on my last plan, and now my data speeds with LTE are incredibly slow. I did a speed test with the Speedtest app before, and my download speed was 20.75 Mbps, upload speed of 10.82 Mbps (I live in New York City). My last three tests since switching to the unlimited plan are download speeds of 0.15 Mbps / 0.44 Mbps / 0.05 Mbps, and uploads of 18.75 Mbps / 7.04 Mbps / 10.67 Mbps. Why have the download speeds gone down so drastically? I can hardly use my phone to check anything on the internet now, and even simple attachments in emails take several minutes with these speeds. Is there a fix, because if not I will have to switch services as these types of download speeds don't allow me to do much with my phone.

Labels (1)
Re: Incredibly slow data speeds on LTE
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We always want to be sure your service is working the way it should Casp0907. We would never want to see you leave and will definitely do everything we can to help. What is the zip code where you are having trouble? Which unlimited plan are you on? How much data have you used during your current billing cycle?

RashadM_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
paul1701
Enthusiast - Level 2

I too am thinking of changing from [legacy]MoreEvery to Unlimited. Verizon states that under certain situations they can slow the speed to 620kbps. Were you aware of this?  Has Verizon responded privately to your inquiry? Can you share what they said?

0 Likes
Casp0907
Enthusiast - Level 1

After spending some time on the phone with Verizon, they confirmed that because NYC's cell phone towers are almost constantly congested, they do slow down the data speed considerably. They're switching me to the 'Beyond Unlimited' which should not slow the speed to 620kbps. Since I'm in the middle of a billing cycle, they just switched me to the 5GB plan until the cycle is over and then move me to the Beyond Unlimited Plan. Once it was moved to the 5GB plan, the speed returned to normal. I'm hoping that continues once it moves me over to the Beyond Unlimited plan. 

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Verizon Wireless Customer Service representative could have backdated the plan change to be effective at the beginning of your current billing cycle.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

THE_DARKNESS
Enthusiast - Level 1

This issue is getting more widespread, ridiculous and frustrating with each passing day. The moment I switched to the new (but definitely not improved) Verizon unlimited plan, everything has been slow.

Now, here's what I'd like Customer Service to answer (and I don't even care if you need to get the CEO to give you the answer):

Given that:

-Verizon has approximately 150,000,000 wireless customers

-The average bill for wireless bill for Verizon is ~$150

-Q1, Q2 and Q3 2017 profits total $92.064B

-Q1 missed the revenue expectation, and in Q2 the unlimited plan was rolled out and in Q2, revenues exceeded expectations (gee, what a coincidence).

1. As Verizon has more than enough bandwidth, money and technology to not have to throttle anyone, anywhere, ever - how in the world do you justify this deliberate degradation of service? Perhaps it's Verizon's lobby that is most abundant, which allows it to do this without any scrutiny? Inquiring minds want to know.

2. How can we, as your customers, verify that there actually is this "congestion" you speak of in our area? Seems more like a "catch all" to appease their commercial customers if and when they see fit and not really give us any real explanation - not cool, at all.

There is real concern that this is just a prelude. It would be very convenient (and lucrative) if Verizon (and the others) waited til frustration was at an all-time high, and then answered said frustration by giving back some speed to the unlimited plan, for additional cost. Please don't ever go there - you'll lose a lot of customers that way.

VEGAS7CARD
Enthusiast - Level 1

My plan is unlimited all right but after the first 15GB of data I use, the 'speed' is so slow as to render the connection useless.

I was told that I get 15 GB on each device; after 15 GB use on my JetPac, I use my phone for connection...but the speed on my phone is NOT good.

I'm looking for a way to bail and go with either ATT or try service through my DirectTV.

rcschnoor
Legend

Bailing is simple, call the new provider and ask to have your number ported. that will close out that line. you would be responsible for all accrued charges plus any device payments you still have.

0 Likes
Tom374632

I just signed up for YouTube TV and Verizons celluar internet can't keep up with it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tom374632, we're sorry to hear you are having issues with your data. When did this first start? Have you experienced this before? Do you run into any issues with calls or text messages? EricaG_VZW

0 Likes