Incorrect direction given by Customer Service Rep.
zman27

I am writing this email to highlight an oversight in the standard operations procedures within Customer Service group at Verizon Wireless. Early this month (July) my wife and I decided it was time for us to create our own family cell phone plan. We recently got married and have been on our parents plans to date (My family has Verizon, and her family had AT&T).  I convinced my wife that we needed Verizon.  She was okay with getting a new phone number and not bringing over her AT&N number, but I needed to keep my phone number currently within Verizon.  Weeks leading up to our purchase, I contacted Verizon customer service reps through multiple avenues- via phone and the Verizon online chat option. I wanted to be sure my phone number currently within my father’s Verizon account could be transferred over to our family plan.  On the phone call placed, I was advised that “the easiest way of accomplishing my goal would be to create the new plan with two NEW numbers, one for my wife and one for myself, and to then call Verizon and request my old number to replace the new number.”  This sounded great— but I still contacted another Verizon rep via online chat, session “RT11366760339”, to confirm there would be no charges as a result of these actions.

We received the two new phones on Wednesday, July 29th. Since then I have learned that I received incorrect direction to create a new line for myself, and that I would need to return the phone, cancel the line, AND IF I did want to bring my old number over I would  need to contact the Assumption of Liabilities Office.  

On July 30th I had multiple phone calls with the AOL office.  The first phone call went very well— the representative, Emery, apologized for the mis-direction and inconvenience and said that we could easily take care of this. However, she said she was going on lunch break and if I gave a number to be reached at she would call back in an hour. I received a standard phone call from Verizon Services asking me to rate my recent call with Emery.  I rated her 9’s and 10’s because she was very understanding and ensured me the issue would be resolved shortly.  I regret this rating, because I never received a phone call back from Emery. Instead, I called the AOL office 3 hours later, to be told there’s nothing I can do in this situation and I would need to return the phone. When I asked if there is any further escalation we could pursue in this unique situation in which the customer was ill-advised in, I was told I could file a complaint, but nothing can be done. I am extremely disheartened that there is no sense of ownership for responsibility for directing a customer in the incorrect process and putting resolution order in the customer’s hands.

I am left now with trying to navigate a solution myself, while having a diminished confidence that calling a customer service rep will help in any means.

From this situation, I hope that it is learned that unique situations as these, need to be handled in a unique manner.  OR, that unique situations have a different operating procedure than the standard.

I still do not know what to do.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Incorrect direction given by Customer Service Rep.
frommage
Contributor - Level 2

Stop complaing, call back, and do the assumption of liability with your old phone. Send the new line phone back and cancel it. Or do the assumption of liability in a store. Your call.

0 Likes
bigsportsfan2
Enthusiast - Level 2

" Stop complaing "  ,,,,,,,??? Wow ,Great advice there .

With that attitude , It wouldn't surprise me if you yourself were a Verizon rep frommage .

With that being said , The REAL problem is that the customer service reps have continuously shown to give different answers for the same question.

Just depends on who / what / and what time of day you ask.

It's frustrating when you call Verizon as a customer . and ask them how , or what to do regarding a question or problem , only to find out on a later date that you were given the ,,,,,," WRONG INFORMATION"

Which in turn causes MORE calls to customer service.

Great job security though.

Anyways,,,,,,Sorry you had to go thru that zman . I TRULY know what it's like. Smiley Sad

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

@zman27

ANd it doesn't get better.... I hope I can do better for you.   You have 14 days to recind the contracts and return the phones.   Please do so, as you have indeed had bad advice all around.

YOu should do the assumption of liability for your Verizon number.  If you purchased a phone on Edge installments which is not paid off, you must pay off in full to move your line.

Your wife should port her number from ATT in order to get any of the credits offered by Verizon.

Please, do this all in a Verizon corporate store.  Authorized retailers are often not well trained (and you have had enough of that nonsense).    Although you may have to go back to the store you originally purchased your phones through.

Weth
Legend

Assumption of Liability is the way to do it. Third the advice. Get those other phones back before 14 days.

0 Likes