Inactive Pricing Request a Sham? Data Conspiracy?
BArchut

I can't believe I even needed to post this here, and I doubt it will do anything to change my situation, but I figured I would give it a shot.  What do I have to lose right?

So, nearly two months ago, I decided to purchase an iPad with Wireless capabilities.  Up until this point, we only had 4 lines on our account (two of which were iPhones with UNLIMITED data plans), and it was considered a personal account even though it was through our business.  Upon purchasing the iPad, the customer service rep at the Verizon store told me that I could convert my plan to a business plan since I added a fifth qualifying line, and I could receive an 8% discount on all future qualifying services associated with my bill.  I was also informed, and I repeated this several times to make sure I knew exactly what would happen, that NOTHING else associated with my plan would change.  I went through the process and completed the switch at the end of May. 

Near the end of June, we got a phone call stating that we had gone over on our data and should consider upgrading our plan to avoid any excess charges.  I figured it must be the iPad since the two phones had UNLIMITED data and I was told that NOTHING else would change on my plan.  Low and behold, upon reviewing my online account, I found that somehow my iPhones with UNLIMITED data had been switched to 2 GB plans.  I immediately called Verizon Wireless to remedy the situation.  I was told that sometimes during the change from personal to business, the plans get switched over accidentally since the UNLIMITED plan is no longer offered.  I was told that the agent at the store should have kept an eye on it, and switched it back as soon as she could have, but since she didn't, they would have to put in a Inactive Pricing Request on my behalf.  I was told not to worry because most of these switches end up being approved, and I should hear something back within a week.  I was told that I would be called, emailed, or texted.  I was also told that this was MY FAULT because I have access to my account online and should have noticed that my data was changed.  While I understand that I had access, I hadn't checked the plan because NOTHING WAS SUPPOSED TO CHANGE.  Why would I check on a plan that shouldn't have been changed at all, and when my rep told me that everything had gone through as planned?  I also called my rep at the store that had switched me over, and they checked to see that an IPR had been placed and told me that there was nothing I could do except wait it out. 

After a week, I hadn't heard from the rep, so I decided I would call again.  I was told that my request had been reviewed by someone from the IPR, but that a decision had not been made.  I was also told that the request HADN'T been denied up to that point, and usually that means that approval is imminent.  I was told that it should be resolved in another day or two.  Well, I let three days go by before calling again, and I got the same response.  "Sometimes it takes awhile as they are very busy with all the request, please give it some more time." 

At this point, I am becoming quite frustrated because I have dialed back my data usage.  For the record, out of both of the iPhones, this was the first time we had EVER gone over 2 GB of data in one month.  So, although I did not really have to worry about going over the limit, I did.  I called again and again, and each time I received the same answer. 

Finally, I called today, and found out that my IPR had been DENIED.  I was told that it was DENIED because I had not submitted the request within 30 days.  I find this to be quite amusing, because I didn't go over the limit and find out about the data change until AFTER 30 days had passed.  It had been denied on July 9, but someone entered it into the computer wrong under a line code instead of stating that it had been DENIED.  Thanks for letting me know on that one guys.  It sounds like there are more than a couple systems that need tweaking.  My monthly bill had stayed about the same price, since the line I added for the iPad was basically offset with the 8% discount.  I had no reason to question it.  Upon hearing this, I promptly asked to speak with a supervisor.  The supervisor basically said the same thing and said I should have received paperwork etc etc that said it had been changed.  Each time I received paperwork from Verizon Wireless, since it is never straightforward, I called to clarify why I had received it.  Each person told me that it was because I switched from personal to business and NOTHING else had changed.  I read through the paperwork, which is quite tedious, and I didn't see anything that said "YOUR UNLIMITED DATA PLAN HAS BEEN SWITCHED TO 2 GB."  Could it have been there hidden amongst a litany of other things?  I guess, but I didn't see it. 

In closing, I would like to say that every Verizon Wireless customer service rep I have talked to has been quite cooperative and as helpful as they could be to the best of the abilities Verizon Wireless gives them.  I actually quite enjoy being a Verizon Wireless customer and do believe that they are the best in the business.  Until now, it has been 10 excellent years of smooth sailing with them.  Unfortunately, this track record has now been marred.  I was basically told that if my request is denied one or two more times, it will basically be pointless to submit another.  I believe they have submitted another one for me with all the details, but I was basically told that it would probably get denied again.  Furthermore, I am under contract for another 9 months.  While I know that I CAN'T get UNLIMITED data anywhere else but Sprint, and there is no other network that performs as well as Verizon Wireless, and I am quite tempted to leave based on principle.  They basically told me that I got shafted, but there was nothing that could be done for me.  I did nothing wrong, made sure that NOTHING would change, am getting the short end of the stick, and basically being told that while nothing was supposed to change, it accidentally did, and since you don't CONSTANTLY look at your bills and analyze every document we send you with a fine tooth comb, its basically your fault.  I honestly don't know how common this is, but it basically has eroded what little faith I had in any big corporation.  I guess the lesson here is that you shouldn't trust the word of the rep that is SUPPOSED to be HELPING you. 

Has anyone else been thrown under the bus this badly recently?  Any ideas on what I should try next?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Inactive Pricing Request a Sham? Data Conspiracy?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Two things. 

1. Why didn't you check your account yourself right away or look at the receipt given to you when you added the ipad?
  2. Because you changed the type of account, it is likely that you also got a new account number.  Which would have made you look like a new customer so the plan options would have been selected from the available plans at that time.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Inactive Pricing Request a Sham? Data Conspiracy?
TheDiabolicaL1
Contributor - Level 1

You're not very helpful are you.

Is this what he should expect from VZW as well?  Sorry we told you one thing and did something different.

Oh-  wait.  We're not sorry at all!

Lame.