IPhone XS slow data response, just switched from AT&T to Verizon
petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi, we just switched from AT&T to Verizon and my children are constantly complaining that things are so slow now for them. They are doing simple things like texting or snapchat etc. To me that is not data intensive. I have a Samsung Galaxy s10+ and it works great. Could it be something to do with the Iphone XS internal modem or maybe Verizon is throttling those specific devices. We do have the Go Unlimited so I expected some issues with congestions. However for them, they randomly try do something and have full bars and the response is ZERO from the tower. That is not throttling for congestion that is refusing all sorts of data activity which is not something I thought I was getting with this plan. This worries me because I heard that Comcast's new plan uses Verizon networks and maybe we native users are taking a back seat. I did report this to Verizon and gave them my zip code (01886) and they checked the obligatory check that there are no outages. I am having buyers remorse on this. The signal in my area is excellent but the response to data cell connects leaves alot to be desired.

Could it be an issue with the XS phones themselves or are the towers so jammed with other services that Verizon is selling, e.g. like Comcast and pay as you go phones. I feel confident it is an issue as the kids NEVER said a word when we had AT&T.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: IPhone XS slow data response, just switched from AT&T to Verizon
petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just an update, I continued to have problems with all my phones including my Galaxy. Even simple voice commands to Google would incur a network unavailable while traveling in the car. Support was excellent they got me on business unlimited and eventually onto one of the new plans that was the same price as my current go unlimited and all was fixed. Congestion throttling is going to happen MOST of the time. I got on the play more for $40 bucks a phone (5 phones) with autopay and paperless billing and free itunes and am now a happy customer!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We are so happy to have you with our family petey100. I'm so sorry your kids are having issues with their data speeds. I know how frustrating it can be to have problems after joining a new company.I'm happy to hear you've already spoken with us about any issues in the area so that we can rule that out as the culprit. We also know it may be the devices or your plan because your phone doesn't have the same issues with data. Do you they have this problem when out of the home? Do you utilize WiFi when at home? What is your zip code? Although there were no issues when you called, we could have current reports and would like to check.

We don't want you to have buyers remorse and we will do all that we can to investigate, troubleshoot and resolve this problem. We want you to be happy with us and have the best connection in the nation on our network.

KinquanaH_VZW

0 Likes
petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry I did mention my Zip Code in my original question but here it is: 01886. We do use WiFi at home. From what I understand it is happening away from home.Thanks!

0 Likes
FlAnalyst
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have similar problems with my iPhone XS.  I am in Riverview, FL (33579) and while the service works fine most of the time there are often very slow to zero mobile data in some areas near my home.  Specifically, today I was in the Westfield Mall in Brandon, FL (33511) and while I was inside the Mall I had 4 bars of signal but data was not usable. I was able to receive calls.  I am on the Verizon Wireless Go Unlimited 55+ Loyalty Plan. (I've been a Verizon Wirelss customer since 1998 with Bell Atlantic Mobile so I am a loyal and never had this problem before.)

I reported this issue to customer care and was told that with the GO Unlimited Plan I may experience slower services during periods of congestion and was advised that I could change my service to a limited plan for better service.  This is NOT acceptable.  The Go Unlimited Plan is advertised as "experience less than normal during periods of congestion" but in reality there is NO Serivice.  

I know that Verizon can provide much better service because I had up to 50 Mbps downstream in many areas with my current phone.

petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

My daughter said she had 2 or 3 bars and no response in this zip code: 01720

0 Likes
petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Appreciate your feedback on this!!!!!! It seems like the same experience my kids are seeing. I think their algorithms on calculating congestion are off. It is almost like folks are basically shut down for cell service altogether. I also did not interpret it as such when I switched to the GO unlimited plan. Also if it is that congested that they need to cut off phones, that tells me the network itself has flaws.

0 Likes
stacyyann22
Enthusiast - Level 1

As a customer of Verizon's for 7+ years, i can atset to the fact that Verizon's data speed has drastically slowed down. The past 4+ months i can't load YouTube videos, load Facebook & Snapchat or even do simple Google searches without constant buffering or the webpages not loading at all. Something is up- I'm thinking that with the launch of their 5G data plans they are slowing down the LTE plans in order to force customers into upgrading to 5G plans with 5G phones...

Before i never had an issue, things would load almost instantly.

petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for also offering your experience!!!! Maybe the answer is that they are stealing bandwidth for 5G recently and that is why folks are seeing a change in performance?

petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

One thing I want to add is that with AT&T I had a 20GB data plan. I would have been happy to get the same plan with Verizon but they don't offer plans with that high of a data cap. It would have been a plus for me as the Verizon corporate discount these days only apply to plans with data caps and do not apply to unlimited plans. So I was forced to go with the GO Unlimited plan because an 8GB cap for 5 phones was not going to cut it. It seems the GO Unlimited customers are the ones who are experiencing the issue from these comments?

0 Likes
petey100
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just an update, I continued to have problems with all my phones including my Galaxy. Even simple voice commands to Google would incur a network unavailable while traveling in the car. Support was excellent they got me on business unlimited and eventually onto one of the new plans that was the same price as my current go unlimited and all was fixed. Congestion throttling is going to happen MOST of the time. I got on the play more for $40 bucks a phone (5 phones) with autopay and paperless billing and free itunes and am now a happy customer!!

0 Likes