Re: I tried leaving ATT and have worse issues !
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

"The proposed class-action lawsuit in California was filed in July 2015. An amended complaint alleged that AT&T "lured consumers into purchasing smartphones, wireless data cards and mobile service plans by aggressively promoting 'unlimited' data service plans without disclosing, or adequately disclosing, that its so-called 'unlimited' plans are actually limited."

0 Likes
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Check the "complaint" link.

0 Likes
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

"This isn't the only lawsuit AT&T faces over its unlimited data throttling. The Federal Trade Commission has been trying to get refunds for customers since October 2014, but AT&T claimed the FTC has no jurisdiction over the company. Last month, the Ninth Circuit appeals court ruled against AT&T, allowing the FTC to continue its lawsuit against the company."

0 Likes
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ricco99, what Supreme Court ruling are you referring to?

0 Likes
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

We need to inform the FTC.

SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

It appears that the supreme court decision in 2011 doesn't apply. Or is that only in California?

0 Likes
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is that what your referring to?

0 Likes
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Talked to an attorney, "California law doesn't allow a ban on class-action efforts in arbitration or litigation". So I guess it's only in California?

0 Likes
SHARKDIGITAL
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ricco99?

0 Likes
pzjagd1
Contributor - Level 3

I'm not a lawyer (though I spent 34 years in a court room) and neither is the guy who wrote that article. But if he has interpreted that ruling correctly, then yes, it only applies to residents of California; the Alabama resident was dismissed from the case.

The judge based his ruling on a ruling by the California Supreme Court; the US Supreme Court has yet to weigh in. That said, it has a long way to go (the Ninth Circuit has to rule first) before it gets to the Supreme Court for a final ruling. It may or may NOT stand once it gets there.

In the mean time, unless you live in California, your only option is an individual lawsuit (not a class action) or arbitration.

0 Likes