I am curious how many people are losing service with verizon due to data usage?
TJWOODCRAFT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been a Verizon customer for well over 20 years. They are by far the best coverage we have had. Being in the Military and needing good service around the country is the reason we have never switched service. Our family used 22 GB of data last month split between 3 phones. I have lived in our current home for the last 17 years and receive my bills at this address, so Verizon has our address. We received our cut off letter last month for over usage.

I am wondering if others are being cut as well.

So much for being a loyal customer.

Tim

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: I am curious how many people are losing service with verizon due to data usage?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

How are you losing service?  Do you live in an area where you are actually roaming on partner carrier's towers the majority of the time?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: I am curious how many people are losing service with verizon due to data usage?
TJWOODCRAFT
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, We live 20 minutes from the Omaha, Ne Metro.  10 Miles south, we are in US Cellular territory.  We have lived there with Verizon as a service provider for 17 years.  We have never had problems with Verizon, till now.

Verizon ditches 8,500 rural customers for 'using too much data' | Fox News

0 Likes
TJWOODCRAFT
Enthusiast - Level 1

My wife and I both commute to Omaha for work, so some of that data is actually used within Verizon's network.

0 Likes
stef7
Master - Level 2
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glenwood, IA?  That area is because Verizon doesn't own the CDMA and EDVO frequencies for that area and only built some of the LTE towers and had the local regional carrier build the rest.  The local carrier is the one that owned the CDMA and EDVO frequencies.  The customers being cut are using too much data while roaming on tower owned by another company and Verizon has been paying the roaming fees.  When the cost of the roaming fees is more than what the customer has been paying the agreement is no longer economically viable or worth it to Verizon.  That is why customers who switch to a tiered and pay for what they use can help cover the roaming fees for those customers.

Switch to US Cellular if they cover the area. AT&T might be okay too depending on the area you live.  Sprint might work too.  Omaha and the surrounding is fairly well covered by four of the five of the largest cellular carriers:  VZW, Sprint, AT&T, US Cellular.  T-Mobile might be finally cover more of the Omaha metro if the ads I have been hearing lately are true for a couple of stores opening soon.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TJWOODCRAFT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I Understand that Verizon does not own the towers in Glenwood.  Are you saying that everywhere in the US that they offer unlimited, other than Glenwood, they own there own towers?

Unfortunately, no other service in the Glenwood Iowa area has the coverage like Verizon.  If US Cellular had as good of coverage throughout the US, I would switch tomorrow.  Due to being required to travel throughout the US, Verizon is the only one that has adequate coverage, in the many areas that I travel.

0 Likes
TJWOODCRAFT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I could also go into a very long discussion about the availability of data services in rural America, not just Glenwood.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Other than the areas where they have the roaming agreements, Verizon owns either the towers or the antennas.  The states with the roaming agreements are Alaska, Idaho, Iowa, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Utah and Wisconsin.

AT&T could be a good alternate, but you should be aware they have a similar roaming provision in the customer agreement where if you roaming too often and for too long they have the right to cancel your account.

I travel around the country too for work and I have found Verizon is usually the best option, but AT&T is a close second.  Even thought Verizon is the best, I can definitely point you to location where Verizon is terrible to non-existent.

0 Likes
TJWOODCRAFT
Enthusiast - Level 1

Once Again, I get it.  We have been verizon customers for over 20 years, Lived in this area for 17 of those years, and have NEVER had roaming charges.

0 Likes