How to verify the ETF in order to payout contract.
hearrean

I have been getting nothing but the run-around speaking with Verizon CSR's regarding this subject. It is simply mind-boggling to me that a CSR is not aware of the calculation for determining the amount of money someone needs to pay to terminate their agreement. I have been on a 24 month cellular contract. My contract end date is 5/21/2015. From reading several postings here, I understand that the calculation has to do with the amount of time one has completed their agreement times a $ amount. The phone that I have on contract is not a smart phone, but a simple flip-phone with no data plan. Can someone tell me (2) things; #1. How much would I owe to fully terminate my contract? #2. How do I guarantee that when I send in that payment that it will be acknowledged as payment in full? (I ask this because no one I have spoken to on the phone at Verizon is aware there is a calculation. Everyone I spoke with has told me my ETF is a flat $200.00 regardless of how many months I have completed). I would sure appreciate some help here. It seems ridiculous to continue sending in my monthly payment when I don't even use the phone instead of simply being able to send in a pro-rated amount that I understand I'm entitled to do.

Thanks....

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to verify the ETF in order to payout contract.
rcschnoor
Legend

Tell them to look at the customer agreement about the ETF. THAT is where information about the ETF is listed. I have included the pertinent information below. It is listed in the 5th section of the customer agreement:

WHAT HAPPENS IF MY POSTPAY SERVICE IS CANCELED BEFORE THE END OF MY CONTRACT TERM?

If you're signing up for Postpay Service, you're agreeing to subscribe to a line of Service either on a month–to–month basis or for a minimum contract term, as shown on your receipt or order confirmation. (If your Service is suspended without billing, that time doesn't count toward completing your contract term.) Once you've completed your contract term, you'll automatically become a customer on a month–to–month basis for that line of Service. If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Otherwise, your early termination fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then. Also, if you bought your wireless device from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check whether they charge a separate termination fee.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Basic Phone is $175 minus $5 for every month completed.

So lets see.

5/21/13 (12 months at $5=$60 off for that full year)

5/21/14 ( 3 months completed at $5 = $15)

So you paid $75 and you now owe $100 on the ETF

Also if you cancel service or port out do it before your bill closing date and not before. Otherwise you will be paying for a month of service you wont be able to use.

Good Luck

0 Likes
hearrean

Thanks, but the problem is that no one @ Verizon appears to know this. I talked with (3) different CSR's & none knew this calculation. So how do I ensure that if I send in (or pay online) the $100.00 ETF, that Verizon will acknowledge it as such w/o simply applying it to my bill, which would then end up as a credit balance, since I've already paid my most recent bill?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Who cares if it is a credit balance? Once the ETF is applied, that credit will go away.Smiley Happy

Just make sure you cancel your service BEFORE your bill cycle ends or you will end up owing for another month of service and the credit balance will go towards paying that.

hearrean

I understand; I wasn't really worried about having a credit balance. But if none of the CSR's or folks in the billing dept. are aware of this method of cancellation (which none seem to be), I wasn't sure exactly how to ensure my $100 payment would be acknowledged as the ETF. As I said in my original question, regardless of who I spoke to at Verizon, each & everyone said I would need to send in $200.00 ETF period in order to get out of my contract. No one there was aware of the $5/mo for every month since my contract began. I suppose I could just take a chance & pay via check with a note stating this is my ETF.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Tell them to look at the customer agreement about the ETF. THAT is where information about the ETF is listed. I have included the pertinent information below. It is listed in the 5th section of the customer agreement:

WHAT HAPPENS IF MY POSTPAY SERVICE IS CANCELED BEFORE THE END OF MY CONTRACT TERM?

If you're signing up for Postpay Service, you're agreeing to subscribe to a line of Service either on a month–to–month basis or for a minimum contract term, as shown on your receipt or order confirmation. (If your Service is suspended without billing, that time doesn't count toward completing your contract term.) Once you've completed your contract term, you'll automatically become a customer on a month–to–month basis for that line of Service. If you cancel a line of Service, or if we cancel it for good cause, during its contract term, you'll have to pay an early termination fee. If your contract term results from your purchase of an advanced device, your early termination fee will be $350 minus $10 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Otherwise, your early termination fee will be $175 minus $5 for each full month of your contract term that you complete. Cancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then. Also, if you bought your wireless device from an authorized agent or third–party vendor, you should check whether they charge a separate termination fee.

0 Likes
gurase
Contributor - Level 2

If you cancel, your ETF will be on your final bill. If once you get your final bill, the ETF is not what you expect (~$100), THEN I would call Verizon. The CSR can say all they want that it will be $200, but what counts is what is listed on the bill.

0 Likes
hearrean

Thanks very much!

0 Likes
hearrean

Thanks!

0 Likes