How to suggest a new tower?
davidmenges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Any hints on how to suggest a new tower?

We moved to a new subdivision (Denver suburb) and get at most 1-2 bars (of 5).  I work one mile closer to "civilization", surrounded by a large 15 year old subdivision, and still 1-2 bars.  Incomplete, dropped calls, even if I run outside.  Lived with it for 5 months, then it got worse and I finally complained; they said we're on the edge of service and a tower was down, but it has never improved.  Next call they said they'd send a truck out to measure service and let me know; never happened.  Next call they tried to sell me a $250 extender, then tier 2 said they'd give it to us and keep me informed; never happened.  We got better reception recently in the middle of Kansas, not a sign of man in sight.

Neighbors and coworkers agree but won't call Verizon.  My next move is to canvas the area with a petition.  My place of work has offered land for a Verizon tower; no response.  Looks like we'll have to get a house phone (can't call police/fire in an emergency), but that doesn't solve the problem at work.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: How to suggest a new tower?
davidmenges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Have tried to work with Verizon for two months, nada (see also my other post, "Someone posing as a Verizon rep?").  Rep says she'll call at specific time on my work land line, doesn't happen (twice).  Another rep says extenders are in stock and she'll remind the tech to send me one; nothing.  Eight times they have said they would do something and don't.

Now I'm told we won't be receiving an extender as promised (but they won't admit it was a lie).  Does it say in their contract "Our service can be inadequate in populated areas; you will need to spend an additional $250 to use your phone."?  Verizon constantly brags that their coverage is vastly superior to their competition (you've all seen their maps on TV), but their final answer to me:  "You need to switch to another carrier for good service.".

I just took these pictures at work, (one mile closer to "civilization", a 15 year old neighborhood), 1 bar territory outside.  I can't reliably make/receive phone calls at work (I don't have an office/phone) or home - maybe 1 of 20 calls miraculously connects and stays connected.  Many incoming calls never even ring (I find out later).  I get 5 bars elsewhere. 

I'm done with Verizon.  The only things I can think of doing:  canvassing the neighborhood as mentioned, sharing these photos with their competition, reporting Verizon to the BBB, and paying for a land line at home.

IMG_444152627.JPG

IMG_0235.PNG

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I won't say that the extender wouldn't help, but man those things have been a source of some serious fussing lately on the forums with connection issues and such.  All I can say is to keep on it with Vzw about getting one to try.  I can only speak from experience there.  Also, I can speak to the "Was great, now it isn't great" signal issue.  Technology changes, geography and industry changes. New subdivisions and buildings go up and people move in with all sorts of stuff that may or may not interfere with a signal.  Unfortunately, the agreement gives Verizon an out when you sign it stating you understand they don't guarantee signal strength of any amount anywhere, especially inside buildings of any kind.  They tell me that their only obligation is to provide calls, texts and data while on their network, wherever that network might be found and successfully be connected to.

0 Likes
davidmenges
Enthusiast - Level 2

Reported Verizon to BBB.

Submitted a complaint at https://www.consumeraffairs.com/.  At least 2,383 complaints there already; Verizon's overall rating is 1 of 5 stars.

Not done yet.  I'm not angry, am disappointed.  I do feel it's my duty to warn others.  I'll submit a better report if Verizon starts providing what they say they do, but by now I expect nothing from them.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I don't know about the area you live but in many areas, mine included, it can take years to get approval just to start construction on a new tower site, even if a business is willing to provide the location for such a site. I would be surprised if Verizon doesn't have the same type of hurdles/processes to navigate in Colorado to erect a new tower site. While many people would benefit from such a tower, ONE very vocal person petitioning local governing bodies can basically place this type of endeavor in limbo for an indefinite period of time to the detriment of everyone in the area.

No, Verizon does not list on its website that "Our service can be inadequate in populated areas" but it DOES SAY "These Coverage Locator maps depict predicted and approximate wireless coverage. The coverage areas shown do not guarantee service availability, and may include locations with limited or no coverage. Even within a coverage area, there are many factors, including customer’s equipment, terrain, proximity to or inside buildings, foliage, and weather that may impact service. Some of the Coverage Areas include networks run by other carriers, the coverage depicted is based on their information and public sources, and we cannot ensure its accuracy."

Snn5
Legend

Yes, it is a big logistical ordeal for property owners, city governments, and a carrier to get on the same page to the appeasement of all involved.

0 Likes
davidmenges
Enthusiast - Level 2

It sounds like I'm being unrealistic to:

• expect service (to address rcschnoor's quote) in a major metropolitan area (Denver, see photo), outside, away from buildings, in generally flat terrain on a hill, no bushes, clear skies, using modern equipment, within advertised coverage areas
  • think that 15 years isn't enough time for Verizon to plan ahead
  • receive an extender they promised to provide.

The Verizon statement protects themselves (it DOES say what I said, and blames everything except themselves), and offers nothing to the customer - typical these days.  I've been very patient with Verizon; they've shown no integrity.  I am trying to warn others; replies stating the obvious are pointless.  When you guys need help, don't contact me.

I won't be returning here.

0 Likes
tailynn1977
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon does not rent land. They have to purchase it. There are permits, permits, and more permits. There is zoning issues, conditions of the land beneath the tower has to analysied for stability, elemental conditions of the atmosphere has to be checked as well for frequency of damaging equipment. Then they have to hire the tower building company that they contract with. And if the number of customers to be covered by the tower is not enough they won't do it. The store on the country corner near the small town I lived in 2004-2007 was trying to get a tower for years. A tower was placed (elsewhere but near) after 9 years. A lot of people want to sell land for towers but the laws and logistics are a pain.....

davidmenges
Enthusiast - Level 2

"Verizon has to purchase land." - wrong. I know several

local cases I can prove.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
tailynn1977
Contributor - Level 1

Well I guess Laws are differnet on CO. In MO, WV (A friend's grandma), and AR they were buying the land, not renting. Possible issues with prorate law perhaps. Just ebcause its one way in one area doesn't mean its that way every where. We all make that assumption and its a mistake. I imagine that purchasing is wiser anyways because if a land owner of tower's land sells their land the new owner and verizon have to develop a contract with the new owners, who may not want the contract or anything to do with Verizon, then the customers lose service....

0 Likes