How to get a verizon phone unlocked
aheslin1975
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am just wondering how to get my verizon phone unlocked so I can take it elsewhere for service?  The rep at the store said she had never heard of that???

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How to get a verizon phone unlocked
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless

You should read all the way to the end but in case you don't I will post it here so that you don't get mad when your phone doesn't work properly on another network.

PLEASE NOTE:  Carriers typically use different frequencies and air interface technologies to provide wireless network access.  Accordingly, a device that works on one carrier’s network may not be technologically compatible with another carrier’s network.  “Unlocking” a device refers only to disabling software that would prevent a consumer from attempting to activate a device designed for one carrier’s network on another carrier’s network, even if that network is technologically compatible.  In other words, “unlocking” a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with other networks – a device designed for one network is not made technologically compatible with another network merely by “unlocking” it.  Additionally, unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., an unlocked device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network).

View solution in original post

Tidbits
Legend

What phone? If it is a LTE device they are unlocked already. If it is a 3G phone then you have to meet their unlock requirements.

sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Device Unlocking Policy | Verizon Wireless

You should read all the way to the end but in case you don't I will post it here so that you don't get mad when your phone doesn't work properly on another network.

PLEASE NOTE:  Carriers typically use different frequencies and air interface technologies to provide wireless network access.  Accordingly, a device that works on one carrier’s network may not be technologically compatible with another carrier’s network.  “Unlocking” a device refers only to disabling software that would prevent a consumer from attempting to activate a device designed for one carrier’s network on another carrier’s network, even if that network is technologically compatible.  In other words, “unlocking” a device will not necessarily make a device interoperable with other networks – a device designed for one network is not made technologically compatible with another network merely by “unlocking” it.  Additionally, unlocking a device may enable some functionality of the device but not all (e.g., an unlocked device may support voice services but not data services when activated on a different network).

aheslin1975
Enthusiast - Level 3

Do you happen to know if that is a case with someone that is not a major network like cricket or someone that does month to month plans???

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Not to be mean or anything but I read some of your other posts and I am not going to do your research for you. If you want to know about Cricket contact Cricket. They will tell you everything you need to know. I am sure that they will be up front and honest with you.

aheslin1975
Enthusiast - Level 3

Boy I am sorry....  I did not mean for you to do research for me I was just curious.  I have since done research and already have my questions answered.  Thanks.  And yes, some of my other posts are angry and frustrated because I some of the things that I was told by a rep in store and on the phone and how the information is different from each one of them sending me to 3 different stores to get questions answered about a phone on my family plan that is not even mine.  I am trying to help my mother in law and the verizon reps all have very different answers to the same questions.  My point on some of my other posts is that It is interesting to me that they all sound so confident in their responses, yet they all contradict each other and will actually say "I don't know why the other rep said that to you".  I do not know who has the correct answers when I get different ones from each one I talked to.  When I turned to the forum and am now hearing that many other people have similar complaints.  That is all.  I did my own research but I was wondering if other people had added information.  Sorry to bother you.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Not a bother but I have been here for a year and hearing people complain and not want suggestions on how to fix things or never take responsibility for their own actions is a bit tedious. I want to help but when all I see from a poster is negative comments other people's posts it gets old and there is only so much I am willing to do.

I am by no means what someone would call a "fanboy". However, I do think that Verizon has the best service available. I have used AT&T and TMobile as well. I would never use Sprint just by seeing an experience that either had with their coverage.

How come you didn't post the questions you need clarification to? Maybe if we had THAT opportunity then you wouldn't need to know how to unlock a device to use somewhere else.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Your best bet when switching carriers is to make sure your phone is clean and clear, buy a phone from THAT carrier and sell your Verizon phone.  This ensures you get all available services from the new carrier.  For instance, if I took my LG G2 to T-Mobile, I could use 1 of 4 LTE bands.  this means limited service in areas where that 1 band might not be used.  That is just one example.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Yeah. I can't wait until the day when there is no carrier software on devices. That is what really locks up the phones from picking up other carrier's frequencies. The devices have the hardware to do this and there really should be a simple software flash that takes care of it.

Weth
Legend

You have never said what is getting you all upset? You ask very general questions, and you can only get very general answers. Maybe that is part of the problem? you must be very specific with Verizon to know exactly what can or can't be done.  Otherwise you will get different answers. 

0 Likes