Re: How much extra data can you get with Share Everything?
rcschnoor
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

Just like most other things you pay for/schedule in advance, you get a discount.

If I schedule an appointment with a plumber/electrician/whatever for an appointment next Wednesday, I will NOT be charged the same amount as if I call the same tradesman next Wednesday and request they make a same day appearance. The "actual" cost would be the same, but you will end up paying more.

You can add the extra data at anytime though.  Say you're going to go over 10GB, just log onto My Verizon and add the 2 extra GB's for $10.  Only have the 6GB plan but have already used more?  Add the 8GB plan and have it backdated rather than paying the $15/GB overage. 

But you are still being proactive and scheduling the data ahead of time(i.e. before the end of your billing cycle)

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you can change it retroactive to the begining of your cycle. the issue people run into (many times) is that they don't realize they went over until after their billing cycle ends. at that point, you can't change it.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i suspect they would like people to be afraid of the everage fees, and just add more (and pay for more) than they will really need. i would bet that a lot of people will see $15/gig in overage fees and just go ahead and opt for an 8 gig plan instead of a 6 gig plan (for example).

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

For example 10 individuals who each wanted 4 GB of data would pay $110 a month each on single plans.( $40 for the phone $70 for 4 GB of data ) Combined they could get a plan with 10 phones; $400 for the phones, the initial 10 GB for $100 and another 30 GB for $150( 15 2GB add-ons at $10 each ) for total of $650 so a cost of $65 each. I'm not sure if that's what Verizon had in mind.

i'm guessing that this is exactly what they had in mind. i have 3 phones on my account and let's say my brother in law (who lives down the street) has 4 lines with sprint or at&t. guess who looks the most attractive now, if we were to combine our plans. i know people are throwing fits over these new plans and the cost of them, but IF they combine plans or add many devices, these shared data plans are the way to go....and in many cases, they will be adding/combining lines from other carriers. customers have been asking for this type of setup and verizon just became the first and only carrier to offer it. they will gain more customers than they lose over this. also, those ten individuals would likely not select to move to the new shared data, if they aren't sharing it with anyone. you could still have your line, with 2 gigs of data, for about $80-90/month. they shared plan among 10 phones would still be cheaper.....but not as much as in your example. you can still keep your current individual plan and select from the individual tiered data plans, even if you upgrade after the 28th.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Why would they stop you while you are paying for it?  It's an overage and they more than likely let you go as high as what you are willing to pay for like with their other data plans(That are not unlimited).

Well for one if even a small % of people used 100 GB a month I suspect that would hamper the network. That's the whole reason for them scrapping unlimited and having caps isn't it? So I assume there would be some limit. And yes I realize the number of people that would actually do that is extremely small. But if you use a lot of data on a pay for what you use basis as opposed to $30 for unlimited, that extra money can be utilized for the network so it can handle the extra data.

Of course these new plans say up to 10 devices. Unless otherwise stated I assume that could be 10 smartphones. So 10 people could just all be a part of one plan and get data cheaper than if they were all on single plans.

For example 10 individuals who each wanted 4 GB of data would pay $110 a month each on single plans.( $40 for the phone $70 for 4 GB of data ) Combined they could get a plan with 10 phones; $400 for the phones, the initial 10 GB for $100 and another 30 GB for $150( 15 2GB add-ons at $10 each ) for total of $650 so a cost of $65 each. I'm not sure if that's what Verizon had in mind. How many people are going to agree to be financially responsible for the cell phone bills for themselves and 9 of their friends? I know I am not going to take that on my shoulders and I doubt there are many that would. The ones that would, will quickly change their minds when some of their friends start skipping payments for their usage and the person responsible is left holding the bag.

A) I doubt any extar money I pay will IMMEDIATELY be put to use expanding the network. My extra usage is happening NOW while improvements to infrastructure take YEARS. Yes, network expansion does not happen immediately. Doesn't mean it is not ongoing, though, or that it doesn't need to be paid for. Paying for data as you go takes care of BOTH of these.

B) 10 friends? maybe not. 10 family members? maybe. For example under the old plans you couldn't have more than 5 to an account. My friend recently got married to a woman that has 4 kids. All teenage years and older. He has 3 himself. That's 9 people. No way they could all have been on the same plan. Now they can. Whether that's wise or not that's their decision but at least it's an option. And if everyone wanted 2 GB or more data each that would require the purchase of several 2 GB add-ons. A family share data plan is meant for the AVERAGE user, and according to Verizon, only 5% of users utilize more than 2GB/month making them above average users. I personally use less than 1GB/month, so with 9 like minded friends, we could utilize the Share Everything plans with 10GB or less, I am just not sure it is cost effective for me.

For example I have 5 lines. With Share Everything, I would be paying:

2 smartphones = $80

2 basic phones = $60

1 Home Phone Connect = $20

Let's say 2GB data = $60

for a total of $220 prior to taxes/fees.

I have been told my employee discount will only come off the data access fee of $60. With my 22% access discount, that comes to $13.

This brings my total bill to $207 before taxes/fees.

Currently, I am paying a total of $222/month which includes $31/month in taxes/fees, so I would assume I will be paying MORE than that in taxes/fees with the Share Everything plan. My current bill also includes a total employee discount of ~$30/month. (access discount + discount on 1 unlimited data plan)

As these Share Everything plans are configured, I don't see many people being able to realize a savings by migrating. I personally don't intend to migrate anytime soon.

0 Likes
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

My plan is one smart phone and two regular phones without data use. Will I be able to keep my same plan if I upgrade? I am assuming yes.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

yes, as far as i understand it. however, if you have unlimited data on your smartphone, you will not keep that. you would have to move to the 2 gig data tier. from their own info page:

You're not required to move to Share Everything but if you do, unlimited data will not be retained on your line. As a Verizon Wireless customer you have choices when you upgrade at discounted pricing. You can choose from a standalone data package starting at $30 for 2GB or a Share Everything Plan. If keeping unlimited is important to you, you can choose to upgrade and pay full retail price for the phone.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

however, they don't clearly state that the current calling plans will still be available. i am assuming they will be, because the new unlimited minutes and text plans are directly tied to the share everything plans, which they clearly state, you do not have to choose.

0 Likes
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

I don't have unlimited data. Whats confusing me is the "Stand alone package"  I have a family plan. 1 smart phone 2 basic phones. I pay for the 2 gigs for data on smart phone. Is this still a stand Alone data package? 

0 Likes
Not applicable

rall_g4 wrote:

I don't have unlimited data. Whats confusing me is the "Stand alone package"  I have a family plan. 1 smart phone 2 basic phones. I pay for the 2 gigs for data on smart phone. Is this still a stand Alone data package? 

Current customers can keep the old pricing. Even if you upgrade. Since you don't have unlimited nothing changes for you. NEW customers that sign up starting on the 28th won't have a choice. They HAVE to take the Share Plans. I'm sure at some point in the future everyone will eventually have to be on the new pricing. Probably some time in the next year or 2 Verizon will make people whose contracts are renewed or run out go to the newer pricing.

0 Likes