How much extra data can you get with Share Everything?
Not applicable

It says that if you need more than 10 GB you can buy 2 GB for $10. Is that a 1 time shot or could someone buy an additional 20 GB for $100? Or even an extra 100 GB for $500 if they wanted too?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How much extra data can you get with Share Everything?
Tidbits
Legend

Why would they stop you while you are paying for it?  It's an overage and they more than likely let you go as high as what you are willing to pay for like with their other data plans(That are not unlimited).

0 Likes
Not applicable

Tidbits wrote:

Why would they stop you while you are paying for it?  It's an overage and they more than likely let you go as high as what you are willing to pay for like with their other data plans(That are not unlimited).

Well for one if even a small % of people used 100 GB a month I suspect that would hamper the network. That's the whole reason for them scrapping unlimited and having caps isn't it? So I assume there would be some limit. And yes I realize the number of people that would actually do that is extremely small.

Of course these new plans say up to 10 devices. Unless otherwise stated I assume that could be 10 smartphones. So 10 people could just all be a part of one plan and get data cheaper than if they were all on single plans.

For example 10 individuals who each wanted 4 GB of data would pay $110 a month each on single plans.( $40 for the phone $70 for 4 GB of data ) Combined they could get a plan with 10 phones; $400 for the phones, the initial 10 GB for $100 and another 30 GB for $150( 15 2GB add-ons at $10 each ) for total of $650 so a cost of $65 each. I'm not sure if that's what Verizon had in mind.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Brian68 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Well for one if even a small % of people used 100 GB a month I suspect that would hamper the network. That's the whole reason for them scrapping unlimited and having caps isn't it? So I assume there would be some limit. And yes I realize the number of people that would actually do that is extremely small.

Doubt Verizon really wants to decrease usage.  The CFO has said that Verizon is pretty much banking on people to move up in tiers to increase profit as they use more and more data.  Who knows if they have any sort of cap on how long you can add the $10 add-ons before just getting charged an overage. Seems kind of silly that the overage is $15/GB yet you can add an extra 2 GBs for only $10 unless they're counting on people to just go over without adding more data or having the plan backdated.

0 Likes
Not applicable

PJNC284 wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Seems kind of silly that the overage is $15/GB yet you can add an extra 2 GBs for only $10

Yeah overage is $15 per GB but you can pay for overage in advance for $5 per GB. Does it somehow cost Verizon 3X as much to provide you with extra data because you didn't order it in advance?

rcschnoor
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Well for one if even a small % of people used 100 GB a month I suspect that would hamper the network. That's the whole reason for them scrapping unlimited and having caps isn't it? So I assume there would be some limit. And yes I realize the number of people that would actually do that is extremely small. But if you use a lot of data on a pay for what you use basis as opposed to $30 for unlimited, that extra money can be utilized for the network so it can handle the extra data.

Of course these new plans say up to 10 devices. Unless otherwise stated I assume that could be 10 smartphones. So 10 people could just all be a part of one plan and get data cheaper than if they were all on single plans.

For example 10 individuals who each wanted 4 GB of data would pay $110 a month each on single plans.( $40 for the phone $70 for 4 GB of data ) Combined they could get a plan with 10 phones; $400 for the phones, the initial 10 GB for $100 and another 30 GB for $150( 15 2GB add-ons at $10 each ) for total of $650 so a cost of $65 each. I'm not sure if that's what Verizon had in mind. How many people are going to agree to be financially responsible for the cell phone bills for themselves and 9 of their friends? I know I am not going to take that on my shoulders and I doubt there are many that would. The ones that would, will quickly change their minds when some of their friends start skipping payments for their usage and the person responsible is left holding the bag.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Brian68 wrote:

PJNC284 wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Seems kind of silly that the overage is $15/GB yet you can add an extra 2 GBs for only $10

Yeah overage is $15 per GB but you can pay for overage in advance for $5 per GB. Does it somehow cost Verizon 3X as much to provide you with extra data because you didn't order it in advance?

Just like most other things you pay for/schedule in advance, you get a discount.

If I schedule an appointment with a plumber/electrician/whatever for an appointment next Wednesday, I will NOT be charged the same amount as if I call the same tradesman next Wednesday and request they make a same day appearance. The "actual" cost would be the same, but you will end up paying more.

0 Likes
Not applicable

rcschnoor wrote:

Brian68 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Well for one if even a small % of people used 100 GB a month I suspect that would hamper the network. That's the whole reason for them scrapping unlimited and having caps isn't it? So I assume there would be some limit. And yes I realize the number of people that would actually do that is extremely small. But if you use a lot of data on a pay for what you use basis as opposed to $30 for unlimited, that extra money can be utilized for the network so it can handle the extra data.

For example 10 individuals who each wanted 4 GB of data would pay $110 a month each on single plans.( $40 for the phone $70 for 4 GB of data ) Combined they could get a plan with 10 phones; $400 for the phones, the initial 10 GB for $100 and another 30 GB for $150( 15 2GB add-ons at $10 each ) for total of $650 so a cost of $65 each. I'm not sure if that's what Verizon had in mind. How many people are going to agree to be financially responsible for the cell phone bills for themselves and 9 of their friends? I know I am not going to take that on my shoulders and I doubt there are many that would. The ones that would, will quickly change their minds when some of their friends start skipping payments for their usage and the person responsible is left holding the bag.

A) I doubt any extar money I pay will IMMEDIATELY be put to use expanding the network. My extra usage is happening NOW while improvements to infrastructure take YEARS.

B) 10 friends? maybe not. 10 family members? maybe. For example under the old plans you couldn't have more than 5 to an account. My friend recently got married to a woman that has 4 kids. All teenage years and older. He has 3 himself. That's 9 people. No way they could all have been on the same plan. Now they can. Whether that's wise or not that's their decision but at least it's an option. And if everyone wanted 2 GB or more data each that would require the purchase of several 2 GB add-ons.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

rcschnoor wrote:

Just like most other things you pay for/schedule in advance, you get a discount.

If I schedule an appointment with a plumber/electrician/whatever for an appointment next Wednesday, I will NOT be charged the same amount as if I call the same tradesman next Wednesday and request they make a same day appearance. The "actual" cost would be the same, but you will end up paying more.

You can add the extra data at anytime though.  Say you're going to go over 10GB, just log onto My Verizon and add the 2 extra GB's for $10.  Only have the 6GB plan but have already used more?  Add the 8GB plan and have it backdated rather than paying the $15/GB overage. 

0 Likes
rall_g4
Contributor - Level 3

It seems a lot of frustrated posters on here who went over on minutes and tried to do that, were maybe led to believe they were being backdated and then weren't. I know minutes and data aren't the same but others jump all over them saying they went over and now they don't want to pay. I read it as they know they went over, called, were led to believe they could backdate their plan. I don't even know. Can you backdate a plan?

0 Likes