How do i file a complaint with verizon?
Astoddard1985
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently used over 6 gigs of data in 16 days (on just chrome) according to verizon even though I am connected to wifi about 22 hours out of the day. This has happened in the last randomly and verizon was great, understanding and realized there was an issue with things running in the background. When I just recently contacted them over this, the rep was rude and very condescending. Basically told me to be more conscious of what I'm doing and that he could upgrade my data for an additional fee. I am not on my phone nearly enough to use that kind of data considering I work 40 + hours a week and am only not connected to wifi during my commutes. 

0 Likes
Re: How do i file a complaint with verizon?
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, you DO need to be more conscious of what you are doing when you have a smartphone. I am not trying to be rude or condescending, simply stating a fact.

You say that Verizon has been understanding in the past, yet this continues to happen. This sounds as if you are simply not trying to find out what is causing this excess data usage. It DOES cost Verizon something to provide your data. If you occasionally use excess data and continue to do so, are you arguing that Verizon should continue to eat that cost indefinitely and you should not have any responsibility to stop this practice? That does not sound realistic.

Your smartphone has an online data counter to let you know which app(s) are using excessive data. It is your responsibility to go into the settings on your phone and limit that app(s) from doing so. Verizon has no control of the settings on the app(s) you install on your phone, only you do.

Furthermore, even though you may be on wifi, a wifi signal is just a radio wave and can change in strength over time. If your phone decides the signal fades out enough, it will choose to use cellular data instead. Your phone does this automatically without your knowledge unless you actually turn off cellular data. Apps on your device have the capability to use data in the background when you are not even using the app in question UNLESS you go into the settings of each app and prevent that from happening. When an app installs an update, the update can additionally set the app back to the default settings of being able to use data in the background.

If you choose to have a smartphone, it is YOUR responsibility for your data usage. If you do not want to pay for the amount of data your phone is using, YOU need to limit your data usage to an amount with which you ARE willing to pay. It is not realistic to expect Verizon to eat the cost of YOUR data usage when you are unwilling to limit it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for bring this to our attention, Astoddard1985. We always strive to deliver top-notch service, so I apologize this was not your experience. We definitely want resolve all your concerns about data usage and find the best solution. Please check your private messages for more information.

TracyB_VZW

Astoddard1985
Enthusiast - Level 1

You do come across as rude. If you read my post it says I am connected to wifi almost all day and am not on my phone often enough to accrue these charges. It happens every few months and I have worked with verizon (who was just as baffled as I am) as to why I am using so much data on chrome. It becames resolved and starts again a few months later. Considering I pay Verizon for a service and support (part of my high monthly billl) then I certainly expect the support to help resolve the issue. 

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Astoddard1985 wrote:

You do come across as rude. If you read my post it says I am connected to wifi almost all day and am not on my phone often enough to accrue these charges.  

And if you ready my post it says your phone can use data in the background, i.e. NOT when you are "on your phone". THIS is why you need to be more conscious of what you are doing when you have a smartphone. EVERY time you install an app on your smartphone, you are installing an ADDITIONAL way for your device to use data even whey you are "not on your phone" UNLESS you go into the settings of that app and prevent data usage in the background!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

@Astoddard1985 wrote:

It happens every few months and I have worked with verizon (who was just as baffled as I am) as to why I am using so much data on chrome. It becames resolved and starts again a few months later.  

Have you gone in to your phone's data counter that Chrome is the only app using all of this excessive data? Have you gone into your phone's settings to prevent Chrome from using data in the background? Are you aware every time your phone updates Chrome to the latest version it is possible the settings you have for this app could have been changed? Anyone who is "conscious" of what their phone is capable of doing cannot possibly be "baffled" when an app uses a lot of data unless they have done the above and confirm this fact at least on an occasional basis, especially when data usage increases unexpectedly.

When you "work with Verizon" have your done so in person at a store each time this happens? Verizon has NO control over what apps you have on your device and unless they physically have your phone, there is no way to confirm what I have pointed out and to make the necessary adjustments, another reason why you need to be more conscious of what you are doing with a smartphone if you want to limit your data. These are ALL things which you can do on your own EASILY. I used to have a tiered data plan and NEVER had this problem you describe, however I knew how apps were able to use data "even when I wasn't on my phone" and "even though I was within range of a wifi signal". I am aware that my phone can use data "even when I am not on my phone" and I am aware even though I am within range of a wifi signal my phone isn't necessarily connected constantly and can sometimes default back to cellular data. I am also aware I can limit an apps permissions to use data UNLESS I am on that app at the time it is using data. I am also aware if I make this choice to prevent an app from using data in the background that I WILL NOT get notifications from that app UNLESS I open the app. This means no email notifications, etc...

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have YOU considered turning off your cellular data connection on the phone when you expect to be connected to a wifi router for extended periods of time? 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Astoddard1985
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, I have started doing that. Only problem is when I turn off my data I can no longer receive phone calls (phone doesn't ring) and most outgoing texts fail. I have tried different wifis with the same results.

0 Likes
BangBang2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Something VERY STRANGE is going on with VERIZON. Go to your feedback screen and check the box "include stystem info" and read all of it. Mine says basically I'm on a PC using software and browsers that I don't

ESPECIALLY interesting down towards the bottom mine says "experiments" and a slew of client id numbers. Can't get any answers from anyone. Then I went to one of the stores to inquire and they called the police and had me banned. Whole lotta STRANGE, don't you think? Oddly enough, Jennifer is the one who contacted me from Verizon also.

0 Likes
donkeytoes

For the phone calls, check your settings about using phone calls over wifi networks.  If you turn off the cellular data, then you have to ensure the phone calls will go over wifi networks.  

0 Likes