How do I use my phone number from an off-contract phone on a prepaid phone?
Derek723

I am currently on a shared plan, but I'm not sure if it will remain that way for long. My off-contract phone bit the dust, and instead of renewing a contract I decided I would go with a prepaid phone until I'm sure of what the main account holder wanted to do regarding kicking me off of the shared account, or keeping me on.

How can I use my phone number from the off-contract phone on my new prepaid phone? I called customer support and got transferred 3 times before the last person told me she couldn't do it unless I bought a new phone from her.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I use my phone number from an off-contract phone on a prepaid phone?
mama23dogs
Legend

You can port your number to prepaid, you will need to purchase a compatible phone to start service.  Prepaid service does not include a phone and does not subsidize phones.

Ive had good luck buying mint condition phones from eBay for about $200.

0 Likes
Derek723

I have already purchased a prepaid phone and plan and activated it. From what I was told, it would be simple to swap the two phone numbers. Who would I contact to port the number over? I couldn't get in touch with anyone that knew how to do that for me.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

IF you purchased a plan, it came with a number.   Any money you added is now tied to the number. 

You should have requested your new carrier port your number when you signed up for service and got the phone.

YOu can port your number to Google voice until your current prepaid needs refill, then have the prepaid carrier port your number from google voice.

Transfer your number in to Google Voice - Google Voice Help

0 Likes
Derek723

Well, I guess I messed that up. I'll wait for the month of service to run out, then port before I add another month.

If anyone else has a way that will be more immediate, please let me know. Thought it would be easier than that since they're both Verizon services.

Thanks for the help!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Your welcome.  While they are both Verizon, the SIM cards are provisioned differently. If you were staying on postpaid, it would be a transfer of liability, not a port.

if you want to save your existing number porting it to Google voice means your contacts can call the same number and still reach you.  Add Hangouts as your google voice dialer.

0 Likes