How do I setup a wireless thermostat so I can access it when not at home?
sandclanc

I have a jetpack which I use to access the internet from anywhere.  I want to setup a wireless thermostat so I can monitor the temperature of my home while I am away from home for the winter.  I also use a PC, iphone, and Ellipsis 8.  What do I need for hardware, etc. to enable me to access the wireless thermostat remotely?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How do I setup a wireless thermostat so I can access it when not at home?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi sandclanc!

Great questions, let's get to the bottom of this! Please clarify, do you plan on leaving your Jetpack at home to provide a connection for your thermostat? Do you have wi-fi at home? Do you have this wireless thermostat:https://nest.com/thermostat/install-and-explore/ ?

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
sandclanc

I have no WiFi in my home...no router/modem.  I do not leave my Jetpack at home when I leave for the winter.  I take it, my laptop, iPhone, and Ellipsis 8 with me.  I do not have a wireless thermostat yet.  My heating and cooling contractor installs Emerson or Honeywell.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for clarifying! The thermostat that we sell, requires a wi-fi connection, for details visit:http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/nest-learning-thermostat-3rd-generation/

AyaniB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

As the rep said, a wireless thermostat that you can monitor from afar (like Nest, or others) REQUIRES a wireless internet connection to function and be able to send the signal to your router.  Without an internet connection in the home, it has no way of sending the signal to your phone or laptop.  There has to be internet on both ends for the communication to happen.

CountryGent

Be very careful. I have had a Jetpack since late May and while I have excellent internet access while I am at my 2nd home, it doesn't work when I try to access the wi-fi thermostat remotely from my home in the city. I have been attempting to resolve this with VZW since I first signed up and no one seems to know what the problem is. When I try to access the thermostat, the site says "signal lost" and then when I return to the country, the Jetpack reads "please wait" and I have to re-start it. They replaced my first Jetpack thinking that it was defective but the issue persists with a replacement unit. I discovered, on this forum, that Jetpacks are not designed to provide a consistent and uninterrupted signal that will work for accessing wi-fi thermostats and other similar devices (security cameras, etc). There is technology that exists for accessing and adjusting thermostats remotely via telephone. Google it. That is what I am considering doing.

0 Likes
pherson
Champion - Level 1

Yeah it's called a regular wifi connection not a jetpack. Jetpacks go dormant thus the reason for the interruption. Wireless devices were never meant to be a replacement for the real thing.

Bobs77

I am replacing my vacation home internet which is 2.5 to 3 Meg at $90 a month with a jetpack I have everything set up but my Honeywell thermostat and having issues if I do a scan it does not find it I put the jetpack name in then it asks which security feature to use and has a list I'm not sure which one to use please help

0 Likes
kh-taylarie
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes