How do I put music on an env3?
eeyore77137

I have an env3 that I would like to upload music I already own onto.  How do I download the software I need to be able to do this?  I would really like to be able to use this phone as my mp3 player at the gym.  Once I get the software, will I need anything else (other than a headphone adapter and possibly a micro sd card) to get this done?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: How do I put music on an env3?
TheGreatOne
Master - Level 1

You'll need a usb data cable plus a memory card.  Here is how to transfer music:

Music downloaded from the VCAST Music store must be transferred to the handset using Windows Media Player or Music Manager.

1. Ensure that the handset is connected to the computer with the USB cable and in Sync Mode.
  2. Open Windows Media Player by selecting: Start > Programs (All Programs) > Windows Media Player.
  3. If this is the first time Windows Media Player has detected the handset, enter a name for the device then click Finish.
    Synchronizing music to the handset
  4. From the Sync tab, select Music (denoted by the note symbol in the upper-left corner of the window).
  5. Select the desired songs from either a Playlist or the Library then drag them to the Sync List (located in the right pane).
  6. You can change the target location by clicking Next Device (located in the right pane).
    NoteIf the removable storage card is selected, the card must be in the phone.
  7. Click Start Sync.
0 Likes
archanoid

Does it *have* to be done this way? My wife has an original EnV (until her Touch arrives) with a microSD card and I was able to just put the micrSD card into a card reader on my PC and place MP3s in the right folder (forget the folder structure right now) and reinsert the card into the phone. The music all showed up for her.

Has this changed? I'm curious because I just bought my daughter an EnV3 and it would be nice if it's still that simple to put music and/or ringtones onto her phone. It's not a deal breaker, though, because she's got an iPod that is her primary music player.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have a Voyager, and I use the Micro SD card and adapter - I formatted the micro SD in the phone, and folders were created (My_Pix, My_Music, etc).  Then I used the adapter and my computer card reader to copy songs to the My_Music folder.  When I put the card back in the phone, went to Media Center, My Music>>all my songs were there, and I could listen to them,

I don't have a LOT of music on my phone and rarely use it as a player, but this seems to work for my simple needs.

0 Likes
JasonAllerdings
Contributor - Level 1

You can put the card into computer card reader, but you will have to format it with the enV3 first since the folder layout for the enV3 is different than the Env1.

FYI - syncing with the enV3 is MUCH faster than with the Voyager and the Env.

0 Likes
eeyore77137

Thank you so much.  I was very glad to see that it could be done using Windows media player & that I did not need to download Verizon's software.  Thank you also for pointing out that the phone needed to be in "sync" mode.  That is the step I had skipped when I tried it on my own.  I could not find accurate instructions anywhere (including the instruction manual) to get this accomplished.  Now, I just need a headphone adapter and I will be all set!

0 Likes
amorandpeace

I done what you said, but when I go to windows media player it does not detect anything.  I go to the sync tab and it says "please connect device".  What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

If, after you refresh devices, your enV3 doesn't show up as connected, you may simply need to install the USB drivers. Go to the LG Electronics site, find the enV3 page, then Resources. Simply click a button to download. It's easy and this worked perfectly for me.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

amorandpeace wrote:

I done what you said, but when I go to windows media player it does not detect anything.  I go to the sync tab and it says "please connect device".  What am I doing wrong?

Make sure the USB port you are using is connected directly to the motheboard of your computer.  A port on a peripheral device (like your keyboard) or a hub won't always work.

0 Likes