How do I cancel my account?
switchingtoatnt

Verizon has the worst customer service and a ridiculous fraud department that doesn't know how to deal with anything. I want to cancel my account, but Verizon has made it so I cannot do anything to my account. This is completely outrageous.

I have been using Verizon since 2006. At that time, I was just going to college and didn't have a bank account, so my sister started a phone plan for me with Verizon under her name and personal information.

Years later, in 2012, my friend joins the plan and we start a Share Everything plan. Two months into this plan, a third friend joins the plan, and that's when Verizon makes a mistake and swaps my sister's name and my friend's name--making it seem like my friend is the account owner, but the personal information is still all my sister's. I don't think it's a big deal at that time. It's weird, but it's all names within our same plan and we never need it anyway.

Recently, one of my friends on the plan upgrades his phone. He then buys a new phone, planning on adding his girlfriend to the line. Last week, I lost my phone and decide to use my upgrade. Apparently all of this sets off Verizon's fraud department and I get an email saying I need to call and verify the order.

When I call, GET THIS, they say my name isn't on the account so they can't tell me anything. But the reason my name and my sister's name isn't on the account is because of some mistake Verizon made in 2012. So my friend calls, and has to give my sister's social security number because that's the one on the account, and they say that the name doesn't match the social security. OF COURSE NOT. VERIZON CHANGED THE NAMES. Then they suspended all the lines and say we have to keep paying while it is suspended.

This is ridiculous that Verizon is making us pay the price for a mistake they made themselves. We have zero ability to change the names on the account.

I need to cancel the account and switch to a more reasonable carrier.

Labels (1)
Re: How do I cancel my account?
rcschnoor
Legend

Call CS or go into a corporate Verizon Wireless store to cancel your account.

0 Likes
switchingtoatnt

They won't talk to me though because they took my name off the account...

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

First of all, it sounds as if YOUR name was NEVER on the account, your sister's name was.

You should have your sister call in to try to get this straightened out since it is her Social Security number. Have the name switched back to her name and then someone who is actually on the account should perform an assumption of liability to take over the account from your sister.

This would probably have been much easier if you had taken care of it when the name change first happened.

Good luck.

switchingtoatnt

I was once on the account because my sister added me as an account manager. When the name switch happened, my name was also taken off.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

switchingtoatnt wrote:

I was once on the account because my sister added me as an account manager. When the name switch happened, my name was also taken off.

Account Manager isn't the same thing as Account Owner.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Not applicable

To cancel your account you would call cs 1-800-922-0204

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello switchingtoatnt,

Thank you for sharing the details of your concern. There's no need to consider canceling your account. We are passionate about attaining and retaining your wireless happiness and I intend to display that today. To change the account owner is not a simple task. Such a process would have to be done either in person or by phone, of which a credit check is involved. May I ask for you to send me a private message so I can look into this issue and make it right? I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I am curious ; are you aware that switchingtoatnt CANNOT send you a DM IF you are not "Following" switchingtoatnt?

Untitled-1.jpg

You would have to hover your cursor over the username and select "Follow" to send a "Follow" request. The user would then have to accept your "Follow" request before they would be able to send you a DM.

Good luck, Switchingtoatnt. Personally, I would like to know if you ever get to DM ArnettH_VZW

<<Comments edited to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi rschnoor,

Thanks for the concern about direct messages. I sent switchingtoatnt a request for approval. Once it's approved then we can get the issue taken care of. As always, your contribution to the community is greatly appreciated. After all, gold status is certainly an impressive accolade.

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes