How do I block calls from bogus spoofed numbers?
me141
Enthusiast - Level 2

Why isn't Verizon blocking obviously fake calls from overseas scammers?

Some calls are even using impossible spoofed numbers -  too many or too few numbers.

Also for the past couple weeks I have received voicemails from robocallers without ringing through.  The voicemails have a recording of a persons name (possibly the actual person of the spoofed local number) followed by minutes of their menu to press a number to talk to the scammer.

Blocking these fake calls should be part of the basic system.

Help?

Re: How do I block calls from bogus spoofed numbers?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

me141, I know how challenging it can be to receive unwanted calls and I want to ensure that we're able to explore all our options to manage your calls. Help is here. For best results, I recommend registering with the Do Not Call Registry: https://www.donotcall.gov/ I also recommend signing up for our complimentary Call Filter app: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/call-filter-faqs/ I'm confident that these resources will be beneficial. Let us know if this helps.

LorenzoP_VZW

0 Likes
me141
Enthusiast - Level 2

In other words, Verizon does not care to move forward with blocking obvious scam calls from fake numbers.

The scam callers don't care about the do not call list other than the do not call list being a list of verified valid numbers to call.

Verizon's complimentary call filter is not available to all verizon customers.

The fake spoofed number calls should be really easy for verizon to automatically block.  Unused area codes, local area code then six digit number, local area code then eight digit number.

I get that verizon wants money they can get from and not hurt the economy in India, Pakistan, Indonesia, and the Philippines, but verizon shouldn't be actively helping scammers trying to steal from their customers by not blocking calls from spoofed numbers.

deloused
Master - Level 3

You can block those specific numbers for free via MyVerizon

0 Likes
me141
Enthusiast - Level 2

Really?

There is an option to block made up impossible phone numbers?

I want to block all calls from unused area codes, unused exchanges, six digit numbers, eight digit numbers.

Ideally there would be a system where caller id numbers could be verified.  There are claims by some that verizon is required to communicate all calls under federal rules.  It doesn't make sense that a requirement like that wouldn't prohibit filtering calls with obviously fake information.

It could be a bit challenging to determine what calls are valid when legitimate numbers are broadcast, but many numbers broadcast as caller id aren't even valid numbers in our numbering system.  Scammers don't need to go to the effort of using real numbers when companies like verizon don't even offer the option to their customers of blocking calls that aren't even possible to be valid.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I’m so sorry this is happening to you, me141. Caller ID Spoofing is not something that only happens to Verizon customers. This is an industry wide concern and all carriers are working towards solutions to minimize this inconvenience to our customers. To assist with reducing the number of spoofing calls received, you can subscribe to Call Filter, Verizon's spam protection solution. This was previously mentioned in our other post. You can enroll in Call Filter for just the basics (spam detection, blocking and reporting) for free, or Call Filter Plus for all that and more for $2.99/mo per line or $7.99/mo per account. With Call Filter, you can set up your spam filter to automatically block spam calls (including those that may be spoofed) based on your preferred level of risk or receive real-time spam alerts on your incoming call screen so you can better screen unwanted calls. I hope this helps point you in the right direction. We wouldn't have any other options outside of this. I apologize if this is not a viable solution, but we do appreciate your feedback very much. Was there anything else we can assist with?

AnthonyC_VZW

0 Likes
MrPhoto
Enthusiast - Level 1

This call filter is garbage. I am on the do not call list and have been for a long time with no reduction in spam calls. As far as the Verizon call filter, it is a joke. I signed up for it, and now I am receiving more robo calls then I was getting before I added the call filter. Verizon is not doing enough to address the robo calls for their customers, oh they do offer a more robust filter plus for an additional $8.00 per mo. What a joke, they just want to drain more money out of their customers.

deloused
Master - Level 3

I'm not on the do not call list, and I receive no spam calls. It must be something you're doing or have done. You want Verizon to spend more money and resources to solve your problem without paying for it? Take some responsibility instead. My bill or everyone's bills shouldn't go up because of your issue. If you want them to provide solutions for your problem you should pay for it!

0 Likes
me141
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dear 

Community Manager 
Community Manager

You do know that not all verizon customers are offered Call Filter?
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MrPhoto We are sorry to learn the Call Filter is not working out for you. We are always working to improve our service and developing new features. There is always the option to change your number if you feel that will be beneficial. DoloresK_VZW

0 Likes