How do I activate the LG EnV without a data plan?
mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

My daughter is trying to replace her dumb phone with another fairly dumb phone (the LG EnV).  I've suspended the old phone and now want to activate the new phone, but it keeps telling me that I have to pick a data plan.  I am grandfathered in to the unlimited plan on my and my husbands phone so I don't want to make any changes with regards to data plan.  How can I go about making my daughter's phone active and not pick a data plan for it?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How do I activate the LG EnV without a data plan?
Ragdoll_Knight
Contributor - Level 1

If your on one of the older nationwide plans where each line has an individual data plan, and they are trying to add a $10 data plan to a basic phone then you can request for them to block the data, which is free.

View solution in original post

Ragdoll_Knight
Contributor - Level 1

If your on one of the older nationwide plans where each line has an individual data plan, and they are trying to add a $10 data plan to a basic phone then you can request for them to block the data, which is free.

mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, we were able to get it accomplished just like you said. 

0 Likes
mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

You seem fairly well versed on this subject....   Would you happen to know if I can add another device - either a hot spot or another smartphone with data to my Nationwide plan without affecting the unlimited plans of the other devices on the account?

0 Likes
Ragdoll_Knight
Contributor - Level 1

You can add a smartphone, but on a nationwide you can only have 5 lines max, or they would have to go to a single line (like the 450 minute plan.)  If your just changing one of your basic phones to a smartphone, then they just add a data plan like they were trying to do to that basic phone. If your at a store, and they're telling you they have to change the plan to add the line, have them add it as a single line plan (that 450 min for example) then call CS that very same day and have them just "fold" it in to the family share.

With a jetpack (or hotspot or mifi) they have a single line plan available that is 5GB for $50, or 10GB for $80.

mnjclark
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you.  I really appreciate the answer.  I currently have 2 smart phones and 2 dumb phones on my plan - so room for one more - and I have one more child that will eventually need a phone.  I was also trying to figure out a way to get network access (while out of the house) to a couple wi-fi tablets that I also have without disrupting the unlimited data plans on the two smart phones.  Sounds like just get the jetpack (hotspot) it's own plan might be the easiest.  Or turn on wi-fi hotspot on one of our existing smart phones.

Thanks again!!

0 Likes
Ragdoll_Knight
Contributor - Level 1

The unlimted data plans on 4G devices have a $30 feature that provides an unlimited hotspot,

Jetpacks are nice, but I haven't found a use for them myself. They run off a data plan like your phones and depending on what you use them for it's very easy to go over. If your using them to power your whole household, you'd want to go with an actual wifi (like cable or telephone company) but if it's only for travel purposes or light usage, you should be alright and it will not conflict with your unlimited plans.

0 Likes