How can I use the Ethernet jack in my wall if I have to plug in my router into them?
mbar6883

I want a wired internet connection to my TV upstairs in the master bedroom which I am able to do with the built in Ethernet cable in the wall. However, I can’t seem to get a internet connection by plugging my TV into the Ethernet jack. I’m assuming because the Ethernet cable in the wall has been dedicated for the WAN port on the router. I can’t seem to get a “LAN” connection through the wall. Can anyone help me solve this? Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: How can I use the Ethernet jack in my wall if I have to plug in my router into them?
JOG0277
Contributor - Level 3

From what I've read; you have 2 options:  You can either buy an 100ft ethernet cable and run it from the wall outlet to your TV upstairs in your master bedroom (assuming the distance is within 100 ft) or you can buy a Netgear Wireless Bridge Adapter and create a wireless bridge from your wall outlet to your master bedroom TV.  Both devices can be purchased on Amazon.

If that doesn't work, then there is a connection issue within your wall outlet and you will need a cable TV Technician to troubleshoot.

0 Likes
Re: How can I use the Ethernet jack in my wall if I have to plug in my router into them?
jav6
Champion - Level 3

Not sure a 'cable TV technician' would be appropriate to troubleshoot ethernet connectivity.  Somehow you need to trace back that ethernet cable and see where it terminates/originates and see if there is a way to reroute that connection to the back of your router and one of its LAN ports. 

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...