Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

And by the way, Verizon Support.  Here's more information on what you are doing to us, your customers.

https://www.eff.org/node/82886

This is not disclosed in your privacy policies,  you don't have my permission, and doing this is a betrayal of trust you can't recover from.

Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
WinstonS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not much point talking to Verizon. Follow the guidance in the EFF link provided above by mikkbarry.esq. Get a VPN. They can't inject their tracking cookie in the encrypted traffic. And complain to the FCC: File Complaint | FCC.gov

You can test to see if Verizon is tracking you from the browser within your mobile phone.by visiting these sites lessonslearned.org/sniff or amibeingtracked.com

sumone
Enthusiast - Level 1

Furious with today's news about these cookies that go beyond breaking the law. You say you sent info to opt out and I call bs! I want to opt out and will gladly join class action against this violation. I understand " normal" cookie tracking and have nothing to hide but this practice to profit without knowledge goes beyond fcc privacy laws.

A_Woman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Excellent article, mikkibarry. Verizon subscribers should read every.word.of.it.

Thanks for the links you provided, winston, especially the one where subscribers can complain to the FCC.

I like the tweeting suggestion made by amibeingtracked.com. Customers who object to being tracked need to stay on this issue daily until it is resolved. I hope everyone will also complain to their elected representatives and senators, both local and federal.

belarm
Enthusiast - Level 3

Once again, VZW responds to questions about X-UIDH with evasion and assurances that it's "not a problem". It *is* a problem, and the EFF has handily outlined all of the issues involved here:

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2014/11/verizon-x-uidh

Try reading why we're upset before you condescendingly tell us not to worry, m'kay?

PortalX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Monday evening I sent a message to Marquett Smith who is the regional manager for my area and when you hit send it says someone should get back to you within 24 hours. Now it's wednesday and I sent another one and received one of the canned responses from the executive office.

Thank you for your inquiry. Customer privacy is always a top priority at Verizon. We never share customer information with third parties as part of our advertising programs. There are many identifiers other companies use in mobile apps and websites, however Verizon’s anonymous identifier has significant privacy protections built in and we’re always evaluating ways to improve it. As a reminder, you may opt-out of the Relevant Mobile Advertising program by changing your privacy choices at any time. Thank you.

mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't received a response either.  I did file a complaint with the FCC and am working on another with the FTC.  It's a complete betrayal and abdication of trust.  I think we need to scream this to the masses.   I wonder if our newly elected Congress will be interested that their Verizon wireless web browsing is tagged with personal identifiers and collected for an undisclosed period of time to be used for "nothing now," but that could change any day, as Verizon's contract allows them to make changes at any time.  If Verizon won't tell us what to do to stop this, perhaps the FCC, FTC, and/or Congress will stop it for us. 

Notice how they continually side step the issue by saying we can opt out of advertising, but never addressing the new neon blinking signs with our personal identifier on it being used on websites that log you in without using HTTPS (say Facebook for example?). 

This is a very dangerous issue for privacy.  What we do here will map the future actions of telecoms. 

icallfoul
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since you refuse to remove this tracking method (which can still be -- and is being -- used by others like Twitter to track us), and you do not have my consent, I consider my contract with you to be in breech.

This makes our contract with you invalid, correct?!

It seems to me that if I break the contract I pay for the phones.  If your break the contract, you can have the phones back and I will get new ones with another carrier.

mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon, if you think we're going to give up on this, you're wrong. 

Asharad
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon is responsible for an enormous security/privacy breach.  We need a resolution to this.