How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've opted out of "targeted advertising" on all of my accounts.  Now we've found out that Verizon is tracking us anyway, adding a "perma cookie" to our web headers as a unique identifier that can be tracked across sites.  I find this a repugnant practice that I want to opt out of and NEVER would have signed up for Verizon services had I known this was happening.  Please immediately inform me how to opt out across all of my devices.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mikkibarry.esq!

Verizon Wireless includes Unique Identifier Headers (UIDH) in the address information that accompanies users’ Internet data requests transmitted over our wireless network. Verizon Wireless does not use the UIDH to track where customers go on the web. And, information about web browsing is not part of the relevant mobile advertising program.

Verizon Wireless customers may opt-out of Relevant Mobile Advertising by changing their privacy choices at any time:http://vz.to/1rD6ZJq .  If/when a customer opts out of Relevant Mobile Advertising via their privacy choices, while they may still see the UIDH, there is NO information associated with the ID and therefore, no ability to use it for advertising purposes.

Thanks,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: How can I opt out of the broadcast UID Verizon has been putting in all of my web traffic, austensibly to track me despite opting out of targetted advertising?
BostonPaul
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same here. I want my privacy back.

Here's a story on it for those who haven't heard.

Verizon's 'Perma-Cookie' Is a Privacy-Killing Machine | WIRED

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi mikkibarry.esq!

Verizon Wireless includes Unique Identifier Headers (UIDH) in the address information that accompanies users’ Internet data requests transmitted over our wireless network. Verizon Wireless does not use the UIDH to track where customers go on the web. And, information about web browsing is not part of the relevant mobile advertising program.

Verizon Wireless customers may opt-out of Relevant Mobile Advertising by changing their privacy choices at any time:http://vz.to/1rD6ZJq .  If/when a customer opts out of Relevant Mobile Advertising via their privacy choices, while they may still see the UIDH, there is NO information associated with the ID and therefore, no ability to use it for advertising purposes.

Thanks,

AyaniB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
DoNotTrackMe
Enthusiast - Level 1

If this UIDH is not used for anything, why does it exist? I do not want any unique identifiers associated with my web traffic.
This is a pretty gross violation of the trust customers must place in their internet providers.
I want the ability to remove the UIDH from my traffic, or I will switch carriers. When Sprint and T-mobile are offering to buy out my contract, it's not that difficult or expensive. 

mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did not ask you what the UIDH was, nor did I ask you to opt out of relevant mobile advertising, although I have.  I did not ask you whether Verizon tracks it.  Other companies can and do track it, and can track whatever websites I go to through capturing this additional header for which there is no entry in any of the applicable RFCs.  So again, I ask you how to opt out of it?  Thank you.

A_Woman
Enthusiast - Level 3

I too would like a simple method (one click) to opt out of the tracking ID used by Verizon (see article below)

Twitter Mobile Ad Shop Using Verizon's ID to Track Users - ProPublica

I do not want my phone's internet use to be tracked at any time by any one for any reason. To be more specific, I don't want any of my phone's functions to be tracked at any time by any one for any reason. I want to opt IN (not to be begging to opt OUT) for such tracking should I lose my mind and want it.

PortalX
Enthusiast - Level 2

The tracking is done in a “boneheaded” way, said privacy scholar Jonathan Mayer: the code is publicly broadcast, meaning it’s not just the wireless carrier who can use the code for tracking purposes but anyone who intercepts the information sent, including the website the person is visiting, any third parties on that site, or perhaps an all-seeing entity like the NSA.

0 Likes
PortalX
Enthusiast - Level 2
XxJoshxX
Enthusiast - Level 2

Deniability does not dismiss plausability.. And seeing as the exact opposite of what you and other reps have stated has been proven I would think Verizon owes us a little more than scripted responses denying the truth. It has already been proven Big Red..

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhill/2012/10/17/verizon-very-excited-that-it-can-track-everything...

mikkibarry_esq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon, I'm still waiting.  i've been a customer of yours for over 20 years, yet you still have not responded to my request.  I've received nonsense responses from one of yours on Twitter telling I can opt out on MyVerizon (not true), yet no information on how to remove the X-UIDH string from every single non encrypted URL I go to.  Twitter is matching these with login information. Nothing bad can come of this, right?  I want to either cancel all of my accounts with you, without any type of fee, or I want you to remove this flashing neon sign from my web traffic.  By the way, there is no difference between "collecting" and "disclosing" under ECPA.  Please advise ASAP, as every day I have a phone that is useless for browsing is another day I'm paying you to violate my privacy, and allow others to do the same.