How Much Will I Save By Waiting Till My Upgrade Date
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I just checked on the Verizon web site and it shows my upgrade date is Feb 24, 2016. If I wait till then to upgrade my iPhone 5s to a 6s how much will I save rather than upgrading now at full price ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: How Much Will I Save By Waiting Till My Upgrade Date
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi richie72846, saving money when upgrading to a new iPhone 6s is a good thing. Let me address your concern about how much you can save if you wait until your upgrade date as opposed to getting the device now. The savings is based upon which exact iPhone 6s model you select and what the upgrade price that is displayed.  Please bear in mind that prices are subject to change so the exact savings on your upgrade date can be determined at that time. For more details on the available iPhone 6s models available and their costs, please use this link http://tiny.cc/eq515x .  Do you know about our device payment plan? If not, here’s a link to  our device payment plan that can help breakdown the full retail into monthly payments http://tiny.cc/om615x and either way you go, each option has good benefits. 
EdwinW_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

It's the 16gb model and it says now it would be $27.08 a month for 24 mos. So if I wait till my upgrade eligible date of 24 Feb. 2016 how much less would it be a month ?

0 Likes
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

Hold the phone. Are you currently in a 2 year contract? Is the website offering you early upgrade? Bear in mind if it is, there are stipulations. Like the fact that you more than likely will have to turn in your current device in pristine working condition. It won't save you anything on the cost of the new iPhone 6, it will only allow you to break your current 2 year contract and then start a new Device Payment Plan. The phone will still be the price it is.

The only way I can see it saving you money is if you're in a 2 year contract right now and paying a $40 line access fee. If you're allowed to turn in your working pristine device in order to get on a Device Payment Plan your access line fee would drop down to $20 (this is assuming you're on a current plan.) Essentially if you traded in your iPhone 5 you could save $60 ish in line access fees, but if you sold the iPhone yourself you could get lets say $160. You'd be ahead by $100 if you just waited until Feb.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1
Data$50.00
Line Access Fees$90.00
Products & Apps$30.00
Estimated Total Monthly Cost$170.00

I'm on the More Everything Unlimited Talk & Text 3 GB

I honestly don't know if I'm under a contract, just that I'm eligible for new every two on Feb 24, 2016. My plan covers 2 iPhone 5s and one iPad mini. I can't believe the number of different answers I get to what should be a simple question. The young girl at the Verizon store said it doesn't matter when I upgrade I still need to pay the full price for a new 6s phone. I asked her, then why does my account show that I'm eligble for an upgrade new every 2 on Feb. 24, 2016. She paused and said "I don't know".

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

The price of the phone will never decrease.  If you wait till contract end to upgrade, you'll pay $40 in upgrade fees.  If you buy it full retail price, you'll save that much.  But, the monthly payment will never decrease no matter how long you wait.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

So, the answer is, I will save $40 if I wait till Feb24,2016 to get a new 6s, correct ?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

If you upgrade on contract you will spend $40 more on an upgrade fee.  When your contract is over, you can buy it on a Device Payment Plan and save the $40 upgrade fee and pay the $20 activation fee.  You can buy it full price right now, but you'd still be under contract until the end date.  This means you are still paying for 2 phones full price though, since the access fee on a contract line is $40 which pays the remainder of the phone price after that upfront subsidized cost you paid when you got the current phone and started the current contract.  After contract end, the line charge is $20.  If you get a new phone on a payment plan, the cost of the phone is added to the monthly bill in 24 increments.

Assuming you keep your current plan on contract:

So, buy now full price.

Buy later on another contract and pay $40 upgrade and pay $40 access charges.

Buy later on Payment Plan and pay $20 activation and 24 monthly phone payments and $20 access.

In the end, full price saves you the $40 upgrade or $20 activation.

Contract costs you the full price but less up front and more per month plus $40 fee.

DPP costs you the same amount every month for 24 months plus activation but lower access $20.

The phone itself will cost the same amount in the end no matter how you buy it, but the $40 upgrade fee OR $20 activation fee, those are the main differences.

If you change your plan at anytime the access fee for out of contract lines is $20, but lines still under contract will stay at $40.  If you stay where you are and never change plans, meaning you don't sign a new contract, then the price will drop to $20 line access fee.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

iPhone on contract for 16GB 6S

$200 for device

$40 upgrade fee

$40 line charge x 24 = $960

Total= $1,200

iPhone on DPP for 16GB 6S

$650 for device divided by 24 totaling $27.08

$0 upgrade fee

$40 line charge minus $15 discount totaling $25 x 24 = $600

Total = $1,250

This is provided that you stay on the ME plan.

If you switch to the Verizon Plan the contract information would be the same.

On DPP

$650 for device divided by 24 totaling $27.08

$0 upgrade fee

$20 line charge x 24 = $480

Totaling $1,130

Currently you pay $50 for 3GB plus $90 for line charges. That is a total of $140 x 24 = $3,360 (2yrs) for data and line access fees plus $240 for the device = $3,600 (2yrs)

Verizon Plan would be $45 plus $40 for one line in contract $10 iPad and $47.08 for your line on DPP looks like $142.08 x 24 = $3,410.

So it looks like you are actually being paid $190 to buy the iPhone.

Can't beat that.

Snn5
Legend

Don't forget the new $20 activation charge for new Device Payment Plans.

0 Likes