How Do I Activate A Second Phone On My Account?
DEATHO69

I have purchased a LG phone prepaid and would like to activate this as a second line how do I do this

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I would like to activate a second phone and have two phones how do I do this
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it's  prepaid device, you need to set it up with a prepaid account.  That will be separate from your regular account.  If you want them both on the same account, and have two numbers, you need to wait 6 months so you can put the pre-paid phone on a post paid account.  Or buy a different phone and add a line to your current account if you need to have it on the same account now.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I would like to activate a second phone and have two phones how do I do this
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

If it's  prepaid device, you need to set it up with a prepaid account.  That will be separate from your regular account.  If you want them both on the same account, and have two numbers, you need to wait 6 months so you can put the pre-paid phone on a post paid account.  Or buy a different phone and add a line to your current account if you need to have it on the same account now.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

My understanding is any Verizon phone can be used on a postpaid account, just as any phone can be purchased to use on prepaid. 

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

My understanding was an older policy, I guess.  Researching, I found this:

It turns out that Verizon made a policy change effective  1/17/16 that requires Verizon Prepaid Phones to be activated on Verizon Prepaid and have at least $30 in airtime applied to them before they cam be used on Verizon postpaid.  A Reddit user posted a copy of an internal Verizon document detailing the new rule:

Effective 1/17/2016, customers who purchase a Prepaid 4G device must activate on a $30, $45, or $60 Prepaid plan and make at least 1 monthly service payment before they are eligible to move the device to a new or active Postpay account .
  • Device remains locked until first month’s payment is made on their Prepaid plan.
  • Device is unlocked automatically upon successful first month’s payment and can be used on Postpaid plan (new SIM or SIM swap).
  • Attempting to use an active Postpay SIM Card with a new 4G LTE Prepaid PIB smartphone prior to making the required monthly payment, hotlines the Postpay MDN (SFO 83643) . The hotline remains until first month’s payment is made.
  • Customers who activate on the $45 or $60 Prepaid plans and enroll in Auto Pay, receive bonus 1GB data per month.
If account is hotlined:
  • Data access, outgoing calls, and text messaging do not work.
  • Text message is sent to smartphone.
    • *VZW FREE MSG: Phone must be activated on Verizon Wireless Prepaid service and first monthly payment must be made before it can be used with any other service. *
  • Auto-remark is placed on the customer's account.
    • *SIM Swap attempted: MDN Hotlined. Phone must be activated on VZW Prepaid service and first month paid before it can be activated as postpaid. *
0 Likes