Help with termination.
DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

I purchased a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 through Amazon, and since it's my first smartphone, I've never truly understood all the aspects of having a new, fancy phone.

I've always used a Samsung Intensity II on the basic Prepaid Plan, and was glad to know there was a Prepaid Plan for the Note 3.

When I took my phone to Verizon, I did not realize Amazon had given me a pre-activated SIM card, and pre-set my number to be billed.

I received my first bill, and unfortunately, I cannot afford $120 for the first month of a contract with a number I have not even used.

I was able to transfer my number of my Prepaid phone over to the now-Prepaid Note 3 via a new SIM card, but yet have received the bill for the initial 2-year contract I had set myself up for. I did not realize that it was a pre-done thing through Amazon, and I hold no fault to Verizon, nor Amazon, but to myself for not realizing "This is my agreement to this plan", basically. The blame lies on me.

My question is; can I just terminate the phone line, but keep my phone as it is now on my Prepaid $45 per month plan, or do I have to return the phone also?

If I have to return the phone, then I'm going to be stuck, as I'm 7 months pregnant, and my Intensity II was becoming unreliable in the sense that it was old, the sound did not work, and the Note 3 was just what I wanted in terms of reliability and attractiveness in its design.

I've always had a Samsung phone, first one being a Samsung flip-phone, though I can't remember its name.

I wonder if I can go to my local Verizon store if they can just terminate the number, and since today is my last day of the 14 day period, as I'm understanding, I wouldn't have to incur the Early Termination Fee. If I left it, then I'd pay out a lot of money for it. So I figured I'd just ask and see if I got an answer.

Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Help with termination.
Snn5
Legend

You may need to go through Amazon since they were the original retailer you worked with.  Amazon may work differently in how they sell Verizon service and equipment.  As far as Verizon goes, you would need to pay off the ETF to keep the phone (of course if not paid you would have a blacklisted phone.) You would also have any service time used or the first months service bill due.  I don't believe pro-ration is used any longer. I am not aware of any carrier or seller that accepts return phones in lieu of a full payment of the contract penalties.

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the response...

I've asked on the forums through Amazon, and many people have said that Amazon has nothing to do with the billing, as when I selected the phone, it gave me the option of choosing a new account with Verizon, or upgrade an account with Verizon. I selected new account, believing that's what I'd have to do. All the people I've spoken to have said to talk to the Verizon Wireless in my local area, so I do intend to do that.

I'm just a little confused, due to using it as a prepaid device with my prepaid number. And with a bill to a contracted number that I haven't used before, I just wanted to ask around and try to get as much information as I could.

Thank you very, very much, Snn5.

Weth
Legend

Act quickly as today is your last day before the costs to return the phone go up. Keeping the phone is going to cost you $350 early termination fee plus the first month of service that was already activated.

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, so keeping the phone is going to cost me $350, and the first month of service that I've not even used will still be charged?

I can understand that, thank you! I have no problem with paying a bill, I'd just have to get a loan and hope to god I can be approved for it. Unless the Verizon store can print a copy of the bill in total, and my bank can produce a co-pay check. They've done that before with my fiance on something he needed help with, too.

Hopefully they can do it for me, too.

So the ETF fee is basically so I can keep the phone? I really feel stupid for not knowing all of this, but like I said, I never had a smartphone before, and never had to do anything like this 😧

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Surely the bill won't be $120 every month due to the first bill usually being higher regarding taxes, fees, and first partial month's and first full month's service.

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

Okay, because I remember selecting the $60/month plan, and I understand of course there's going to be fees, taxes and all other applicable charges. I'm just wondering whether I should bother to pay for a number I don't use, and try terminating at a later time, but then that'd mean I have over $100 a month to go out on then 2 plans when I only use my prepaid number on my prepaid plan.

I may just try and terminate today and ask if I can keep the phone as it's on my prepaid plan, and try and talk to my bank to get a loan or check from them to help pay it.

I don't really want to get into trouble if I don't pay something...

Snn5
Legend

Hope it all works out Smiley Happy

DeathKitty1989
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you very, very much...! I really appreciate all the help, guys!