Help with prepay plan and smartphones
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a voice/text plan contract that expires in May of 2015.

I am probably going to go to a prepay plan with a smart phone
after that.

If I buy a smart phone now that is compatible with a Verizon smart phone prepay plan...

1. Can I use it with my current plan for the next few months?

2. Can I use it to access free WiFi in various locations like McDonald's, the library, etc?

3. Will the phone try to access the Verizon network? I ask this because I don't want to get charged for accessing the Internet. I want to use free WiFi networks until I get the prepay plan.

NOTE: I am new to smart phones.

4. Can I download books from the library or will this incur a data charge?

Repeat: I am new to smart phones.

5. Is there a web page where I can learn about smart phones?

I am leaning towards the Moto G or the Luge phones. A number of people I know have the Moto G and really like it.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Help with prepay plan and smartphones
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize that we did not directly answer your questions.

1. If the device is sold specifically as a Prepaid device like the Luge or Moto G it cannot be activated on your current plan immediately and would have to be active on Prepay for 6 months before being moved to current plan.

2. The device will be able to pick up free WiFi networks when available.

3. Smartphones are considered always on data devices and will require a data package to be added. You do not have to use the data at all times as all Smartphones will allow you to disable mobile data is needed.

4. There are many 3rd party apps available for eBooks. If not on a WiFi network you will use data during initial download or if using a cloud storage service that does not hold books on device memory. If book is on device memory then you can read without WiFi or mobile data.

5. Here is a cool link that has other linhks like "What is a Smartphone?" and "How to Choose a Smartphone" as well as all of our other Smartphone device options.

May I also ask the reason you were more interested in a Prepaid plan? Please let me know if you need any further clarification as I am happy to help!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have all the information you need to make the best decision about your prepaid plan k_drive. If you buy a smartphone with a discount/contract, switching to prepaid before the contract ends would result in an early termination fee. You can switch your number over to prepaid once your contract is up with your post paid account. If you are on prepaid, only your prepaid plan will be charged for minutes and data according to your actual plan.  Here are some prepaid facts and information http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/prepaid-plans-and-service-faqs/  Please contact our prepaid department at 1-888-294-6804 . They will answer all your questions regarding prepaid phones and plans.

Kinquana_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
marz-K
Enthusiast - Level 3

Kinquana_VZW
:

This did not answer any of my questions.

I am aware of the early termination fee. (Maybe I should have put that in the initial question.)

That is why I asked all those questions. I wanted to at least be able to access free WiFi networks like McDonalds and the library with the smartphone while still on my old plan.

If someone else can actually answer my listed questions, I would appreciate it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I apologize that we did not directly answer your questions.

1. If the device is sold specifically as a Prepaid device like the Luge or Moto G it cannot be activated on your current plan immediately and would have to be active on Prepay for 6 months before being moved to current plan.

2. The device will be able to pick up free WiFi networks when available.

3. Smartphones are considered always on data devices and will require a data package to be added. You do not have to use the data at all times as all Smartphones will allow you to disable mobile data is needed.

4. There are many 3rd party apps available for eBooks. If not on a WiFi network you will use data during initial download or if using a cloud storage service that does not hold books on device memory. If book is on device memory then you can read without WiFi or mobile data.

5. Here is a cool link that has other linhks like "What is a Smartphone?" and "How to Choose a Smartphone" as well as all of our other Smartphone device options.

May I also ask the reason you were more interested in a Prepaid plan? Please let me know if you need any further clarification as I am happy to help!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes