Help! Verizon credited my pymt to someone else's account!
V-is-for__
Enthusiast - Level 2

In December, 2013, I paid my Verizon bill with a phone rep. The representative mistakenly credited my $134.65 payment to someone else's account.

I understand how the mistake was made: The person whose account was credited used to live at my address and, for now, we do have the same last name. His bill is in default because he doesn't feel like paying it.  I can show the withdrawal from my bank account and I can show the credit on his bill.

I have called Verizon and engaged with phone chats multiple times. Twice, I have been promised my refund. Most recently, I was promised that the $134.65 would be refunded to my credit card by January 10, 2014, but this has not happened yet. Meanwhile, it is February, 2014, and I am still deducting this amount from my bill, so it looks like I am not paying my full amount due. I am very unhappy that this situation continues to drag on.

How can I get my $134.65 refund?

Labels (1)
Re: Help! Verizon credited my pymt to someone else's account!
Not applicable

First off why are you waiting for verizon to refund you? Call your bank and credit card company and they will charge it back if you tell them the issue.

Verizon is notorious for not giving money back. Call your bank, do it now. Let verizon fight with them.

And that tale of having the same name and address is very questionable.  And why would verizon give you access to another's account history or payment information?

Good Luck

V-is-for__
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, Elector, I will try taking it up with my bank. The reason why I have the other person's account history and payment information is that he is my soon-to-be-ex-husband. I used to pay his bills, even though we live separately. I opened his Verizon bill after my payment went astray. Truth be told, I am not optimistic about my bank helping me in this issue. After all, why should they lose money when Verizon is the debtor?

By rights, Verizon should credit me the amount that they mistaken applied to someone else's account. I am a good customer and a long-term customer, though I will not remain so if they continue to make refund promises that they fail to keep.

0 Likes
someoneudontknow
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello V-is-for__,

Call Verizon Wireless customer service and advise that your payment was misapplied to someone else's account.  They will fill out a form to be submitted to another department and have applied to the right account.  Its very easy!  They will take care of you.

0 Likes
V-is-for__
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Someoneyoudontknow,

I have spoken to Customer Service about this issue on four separate occasions. The representatives are always very nice, but the refund never happens. The last time, the representative said that she processed everything and that I would be getting the 134.65 refund to my credit card by January 10.

I wonder if Verizon has Customer Service representatives who monitor these threads and help customers who are not getting what they need?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Don't bother with jumping through Verizon's hoops. They made the mistake and they decided who cares since we got the money. Smart consumers know that doing a charge back is the easier way to handle it.

Small claims court is also an option.

Good Luck

B33
Legend

Yea that is a Rip and as Elector stated that may be a Way to go.. to get some attention to this matter..

V-is-for__
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, since Verizon is playing games, I am going to talk to my bank on Tuesday and maybe try small claims court. Thank you, Elector and B33...I will keep you posted! 

0 Likes
B33
Legend

'K'

0 Likes
Not applicable

I am assuming you are not legally responsible for the soon-to-be-Ex's account, not on the account, didn't open the account, if you get what I mean?   ( If I leave my current account and my ex-husbands phone all by itself, I still owe Verizon because it is all in my name.  {And for gosh sakes, change your name back ASAP!  I did.   My kids and the school can call me Mrs C***, but all my legal documents and stuff are all in my own name.   The phone was the most important change because people were using the internet white pages to find him, but were getting MY home number with his name still attached.   OMG, I do so feel your pain.  })

That said.... If your name is not on his cell bill:

You don't need court.  It will cost more than the $134 and they can't make him pay, you have to which can take more time and money.   The best thing possible is:  you paid with a credit card.   And you didn't get what you paid for.

And you have a limited time with your credit card company to dispute a charge.

By disputing a charge the credit card company immediately puts the money back into your account and takes it back from the Payee (Verizon).   That will light the fire under their buns, won't it!

There is a form to fill out to dispute charges.  You may be able to do so online.

Do not add information.

Do not tell them about the ex-husband, or his default bill.

Keep it simple.

You paid account number  ##########  by phone with your credit card $134.65    Your card was charged $134.65

The payment has not been applied to your account.

SAY NOTHING MORE!

0 Likes